How do you know if your child is gifted?

AmberAllgris

Asked by AmberAllgris at 3:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ummm... I have no idea. Once kids are older there are tests that can be done in school age kids to put them in gifted programs.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• You don't at least not until they're school age.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have two gifted kids, but I would say that at the toddler stage, this question isn't very fruitful. Do your best to teach and guide, then worry about the labels when they get into school. Your local school will test them in K-2 at your request. Until then, just enjoy your child!
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 3:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Keep in mind, that only 5% of the population is truly gifted; another 15% is considered to be academically advanced.depening on the school district, testing is done between kindergarten and sixth grade, or not at all. All children develop at different rates, and there is some leveling out between 4th and 6th grade.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have one child who is truly gifted based on both school and IQ testing. If you had asked that question about him in his toddler years, I would have laughed until I fell over from exhaustion. His school testing in 2nd grade placed him in a gifted program and it changed him so much for the better because people understood how he thought better.

Most children have some form of talent. Not all those are what the norm would consider gifted. And not all who are labeled gifted are good at all that they do. Keep an eye out and then hope for the best.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2010