chores

how do you enforce them? i have a 4 year old who has been unloading for a nickle but im starting to wonder if he should be doing it for free. i mean he saves his nickles for fun stuff but its always things i would buy him anyways... so do i need to stop buying him stuff and only have him use his nickles or do i stop giving him the nickles and if i stop giving him the nickles then what can i do to keep him unloading?

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Stop buying him stuff. When my daughter started her chores for allowance at age 3, we stopped getting the small toys and let her buy them herself. She's gotten really good at saving her money for the things she wants and treats them a lot better since she has to work for them.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My daughter is 6 she has been folding and putting away her own laundry since she was 4. She makes her bed every morning, brushes her hair and her teeth without being asked. She helps out around the house because she wants. Her daddy gived her the change he makes from breaking a dollar every week and she puts it in her piggy bank. She is saving up for a house she wants lol. We like to go to yard sales and she fell in love with a house and we keep driving by it to see if its still for sale...she says thats what she's saving her money for. Its pretty bad...the kid has more money then I do! lol
    I would keep giving him them and let him save them. We take our daughter to CoinStar and she loves the noise and getting dollars for it. SHe is allowed to buy whatever she wants but she insists on saving it
    TigerBaby69

Answer by TigerBaby69 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• All our children had chores. All started before they even realized they were chores A yr old child can help put his toys in a bin. It's a start. We never gave allowance. Our view is that we are a family and every member has responsibilities. Working as a team to get all the things we needed done, done. As they got older if there were special jobs or something they had opportunities to earn money. When my oldest began working he still had chores he was responsible for. One day the boys came in and asked if it was okay for one to pay the other to do their chores. We agreed the payment was fair...but it was still the oldest job to 'supervise' and make sure they were done..and done right. It worked well for us.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Sorry, but I never paid for chores. Chores being those everyday jobs that are required of ALL members to make the household run smoothly. We do pay for lawn mowing, power washing, and car washing. Those aren't necessary to the house running smoothly.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I do buy my kids things and they help out some. I haven't bought them anything in awhile because it is like pulling teeth to get them to even pick up their own messes. I really need to be more firm with them and find som punishment for them not doing their chores instead of giving them money if they do do it.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 5:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I think the nickles idea and esp. that he's saving up for stuff is great... encourage it... don't buy it for him... you are teaching money management, responsibiltiy, how to take care of your self, how to be part of a team/family, and delayed gratification all at once... nice job mom
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010