cell phone spin off

at what age do you think your kid would be old enough to have a cell phone?

would you monitor the cell phone use?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My daughter is ten and has had a cell phone for about a year now....but her cell is a tracfone...its a pay as you go service.She knows to only use it for keeping in touch when she leaves the house.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• When I don't think she'll lose it. And I would keep and eye on how much she used it, I guess.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• When she can pay for it herself! I didn't have one and my mom always knew where I was!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My 2 oldest didn't get phones until they could pay for them on their own. If they had to have one for an event, they used mine. My youngest got a phone for his 15th birthday because of after school activities and band trips. I need to know when to pick him up and if he will be late. I do monitor his calls and the amount of time he spends on the phone doing the dreaded texting. He has to help pay the $10/month for the phone though. He doesn't get it for free.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• When they can pay for them.  My 10yo has been asking and I told her she has to be 16 since there is a monthly charge she'll have to pay and she needs a job for that.  She was mad.

If we get a phone for them before that it will be for when they are going out and they would have to share.  No texting and for emergencies only.  We'd keep it off and up in the house.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• When he is 15
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 4:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It would have to be decided on when I felt they were responsible and trustworthy enough. That would have varied greatly with my 3 children, as I think it will with most.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2010