Sick of cleaning up...

I am sick and tired of cleaning up after my three year old. He makes the WORST messes. I took a nap while he did, and he woke up before me. I didn't hear him get up, so I slept on. Well, when I got up, I went to where he was, in the kitchen. He had taken 6 packets of kool aid and put them into the cat water dish. Then spilled the cat water dish all over the carpet in the kitchen. For breakfast, he has dry cereal that ended up being THROWN up into the air, and going all over the living room. For lunch, he had some ramen noodles. They ended up all over the living room floor, all the was to the kitchen...

Are you as sick as I am of cleaning up after your child???

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 4:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow... sorry to hear about that, but no- mine do not make messes like that. It is unacceptable in our house to do so... They would be picking it up themselves and having a whole lot of time out if they behaved like that. Mine are 2, 4 and 6 and all contribute to picking up the house twice a day. Just before daddy gets home from work and just before bedtime.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• No, she's been cleaning up after herself since she was big enough to walk. Now, any mess she makes, she cleans. If it's an accident like tripping and knocking over a cup, I'll help, but if it's on purpose or doing something that she knows she's not supposed to she does it on her own.
    A three year old is definitely old enough to clean after herself. And also old enough to know not to get into things, not to mess with cat water, not to throw food. Just start having her clean her own messes. She'll stop making them, and even if she doesn't, it's her who is stuck with it, not you.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• No..I let them get involved with the cleaning making it fun. Then later while playing, you will see them do it on their own.(acting it out)
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2010