Extreme thirst...

Lately Gavyn, who is 3, has been EXTREMELY thirsty. He is drinking something non stop. He either has a bottle of water, or a cup with Crystal Lite in it. He has not been urinating more than usual though.

Could this be due to the heat? Or should I be worried?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 4:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• IM PRETTY SURE ITS BECAUSE OF THE HEAT. THATS GOOD HES DRINKING PLENTY, KEEPS HIM HYDRATED.
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Is he taking any medications? My allergy meds do that to me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• If its only today...sounds like just the heat to me.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Crystal Lite should NEVER be given to a child. Artificial sweetners should not be given to children and a child as young as 3 drinking a lot of it every day could have organ damage. I encourage you go to the doctors and have your child's lab work checked.

Children should only drink water. The AAP says children can have 4 oz of juice a day. No pop, soda, KoolAid, juice drinks, lemonaid, slusshies, milk shakes, fruit smoothies, or anything else. Artificial sweetener is worse than sugar.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• He has been extremely thirsty for about two weeks now. As for not getting anything other than water and juice, I turned out ok, my hubs turned out ok, my oldest turned out ok. At least I am not putting pop in a bottle. I think that peoples opinions on sugar and sweeteners is different. I know that there are studies, but when diabetes runs in the family, it is not easy to have real sugar in the house.
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010