Has anyone done any beekeeping?

Has anyone here ever done any beekeeping? I'm tossing the idea around of putting up a hive in my sideyard. There are plenty of good honey plants, a water source nearby and it's on a good side of the house for sun and shade.
My kids don't play on that side of the house, either, as it's rather narrow, so they'd be safe.
I checked, and there don't seem to be any laws in our town or HOA against keeping bees.

SusanTheWriter

Asked by SusanTheWriter at 4:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Our neighbor used to keep bees. He had the beekeepers suit and everything. He would smoke the bees out of the hives and collect the honey. He always gave us some, and it was the best. Some of the neighbors complained about the bees so he moved them to the back of our property for the last several years he fooled with them. We have a swarm of bees now in a hollow tree back there, but we don't have any way to get the honey out. Pity too, because it is so good!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My dad does, it is a crazy amount of work. His hive "swarms" all the time and he has to hunt it down and bring it back home. He loves to do it, but it is a serious project... not just a side hobby.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Rats. I was hoping it wouldn't be terribly complicated.
    SusanTheWriter

Comment by SusanTheWriter (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• No, but my Grandpa used to. I don't think I could handle it. Best of luck if you decide to try it, though. Local honey can work wonders for allergies! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My grandfather and several friends have had bees, and it doesn't seem to be a easy hobby to do, even if you just have one hive.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2010