Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If I want to open a day care in my home, in WA state, do I HAVE to get a license??

I know they say to get one, but is it required?

Also, what are the estimated costs to get up and running?



Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Technically you are supposed to have a license if you are watching more than 1 or 2 kids that aren't related to you. Doesn't mean anyone will find out or you will get caught but it's better safe than sorry and the cost depends on how much work your house needs because WA is pretty strict when they go through your house.

    Answer by britni11 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • it mainly depends on how many kids you plan on watching.

    if it's only 1 kid or siblings, then no.

    If you plan on taking on more than that, then yes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • I would! Because with a license, you can get insurance--should one of the children in your care get hurt, and the parents try to sue you! Even good friends can turn on you! You HAVE to protect yourself and your assets (home, savings accounts, etc.)

    Answer by LoriKeet at 5:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • I would anyways.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • In az im pretty sure you only have to get a liscense to watch more then 5 kids, doesnt matter if they are related to you or not. I would call your local dpeartment of family services and they can tell you for sure. To get started it depends on what you already have....and watch age groups for example if its all newborn you need somewhere for them to sleep,bouncer etc...or if they are school age.....

    Answer by dairyberrys at 10:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

  • I dont really see how the whole kids being related ot you would matter unless it was your kids....

    Answer by dairyberrys at 10:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2010