quit smoking this morning...tips, advice?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 5:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• acupuncture if it's ok with your pregnancy
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Get rid of any ashtrays in the house. Force yourself to smoke outside, which will kind of make it a hassle in the summer heat or winter cold. Use something to distract you, such as TV, chewing gum, or a new hobby. Put your smokes and lighters in a place where you dont see them all the time (like in a bag in your closet). Put a picture of your baby or any inspiration you have in a place where you will see all the time, so you remember why you are doing this. Good luck!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I ate a lot of sunflower seeds...they kept my hands and mouth busy like smoking did. Also, gum worked well....ice water when the cravings got really bad. I just quit three months ago, so I still get the occasional craving, but it isn't too bad anymore. Good luck and no matter how bad the cravings get, remember, you can do it!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Stay Strong and if you ever feel like you need to light one up just remember why you're quiting. Never Doubt Yourself!
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Oh, and dont beat yourself up if you are quitting gradually or you slip up. For some people, it is too hard to quit cold turkey. If you slip up, recognize your mistake and move on. Tomorrow is a new day to try again.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Think of all the smoke money that now can go to taking care of your new baby!! Sun Flower seeds are a great idea. my dh ate alot & chewed on straws... You will have more energy & you will be needing with a growing belly & then a baby to keep up with :)
    Take up a new hobby that keeps your hands busy.. try kniting or crochet a blanket for your baby! Go for a nice walk with fresh air when you feel the urge... Recognize that sometimes its habit that will trigger the craving. (like every time u start the computer, you would light up while it was start up-- start your computer & go load the wash, or eat a peice of fruit)
    Best of luck to you. I quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant ... :) Everyone said id smoke after baby was born... I said No way thats crazy! Shes almost 4 & I have not lit up...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I started cross stitching. It totally kept my hands busy. Also, for me, I had to stay away from other smokers for a while. It was a trigger for me. And when I was stressed out and wanted a cig, I took a bath instead. That was I was forced to stay inside until the craving passed.
    Jenniejen77

Answer by Jenniejen77 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010