Why do some people choose to blame others for their situation in life?

I notice a lot of people blaming their current situations in life on others (God, their so, their boss, their family, etc.). They like to place blame on anyone but themselves. All this teaches you is that you aren't responsible for your OWN actions or happiness. You cannot be happy while blaming others. It'll make you feel powerless. In order to be happy, you have to hold yourself accountable for your actions. Once you do this, it EMPOWERS you. Once you realize that when it really comes down to it, 99% of the time, your life is what YOU make of it, it brings you peace. Sure, some unfortunate things happen in life that are unavoidable, but you can either accept defeat, or you can choose to turn it into a lesson, take something positive from it, and make choices to better the situation.

I guess this is part question, part random thoughts that I'm having today, but I just don't get why some people are content playing the victim.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 5:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Questions liek this remind me of this scene from Meet the Robinsons

Lewis: Goob, I had no idea!
    Bowler Hat Guy: Shut up! And don't call me "Goob"! How many evil villians do you know that can pull off a name like "Goob"? Bleh!
    Lewis: Look, I'm sorry your life turned out so bad. But don't blame me you messed it up yourself. You just focused on the bad stuff when all you had to do was... let go of the past and keep moving forward...
    Bowler Hat Guy: Hmm, let's see... take responsiblity for my own life or blame you? Dingdingdingdingding! Blame you wins hands down!

I am a Lewis.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• it's easier. and people who always take the easy way out are not happy.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Most injuries are self-inflicted,so says the dh. Why blame others for your bad situation? Its easier than admitting you made a bad decision, or screwed up. Denial? ? Its some peoples favorite river!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Yes, but you do know that children can no longer pick their own teammates, winners and loser can no longer be distinguished, everyone is a winner and no one is a loser, right? Where do you think that stuff comes from? No one knows how to deal with their own actions anymore.
    Anonymous

• It's easier on the ego.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Wow I own my own mistakes and when something happens I understand the best thing is the lesson that comes out of it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Some people are very, very good at pointing the blame at other people and getting others to feel sorry for them. I am currently extremely upset with myself for falling for this type of manipulation. I felt so sorry for him, I offered to babysit for next to nothing, allowed to wait for payment. I ended up not being paid for a week of work and being accused of a crime. The police were called but apparently did not believe the story, as I was told by a third party. I finally found out because this poor, pitiful, put upon individual had been spreading lies about me. Which were believed! I pointed out to one lady, look, his girlfriend, ex supervisor, everybody has done something awful to this poor loser and he cries real tears at the age of 32! The tears should have been a dead giveaway, I admit I was shocked at the time but it worked on me. I felt sorry for him. Now I am physically sick and I blame my stupid self!
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Human nature. As a whole humans prefer not to admit their faults. It's just easier to blame God or Fate rather than own up to things and accept that they screwed up.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I'm not good at making a point, but the short answer is people do this because they have learned that it works. If someone has fallen on hard times and can show it isn't his fault, most people naturally want to help. It gets them stuff, money, an easy way out. I hope you are correct that these people aren't happy but I'm not convinced. I'm hurt, and this person is off looking for another target. His girlfriend paid off his DUI and gave him a car before she finally wised up and left him. All I was told is that she was a selfish, nasty person who never cared about their baby. How dumb was I?
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Thank you, LovingSAHMommy and KristiS11384. I am trying to move forward. I know I will still want to help other people and I guess I should really pay better attention. I still want him to die, sooner rather than later. These thoughts make me sick and I don't really know how to stop them. I also feel guilty for being nasty to his girlfriend because I believed lies.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010