What the hell? Birth control found in 40,000 americans water?

I just heard this on TV...... a news channel or something. YUCK!

Do you believe this to be true?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• what channel?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I hadn't heard it, but I know it isn't around here. Everyone I know is pregnant or just had babies. I just went to a baby shower with 5 pregnant women and newborn twins and a one month old. Not counting all the other babies under 2...lol
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• yes... you would be amazed what they have found in the water here in Texas
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 5:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Sounds like BS, but with the way this world is today I wouldn't doubt it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/birth-control-water-quality-460609

I found this, is this what your talking about?
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• For fact it is true. It was about 10 years ago when the water in the US first started being tested for things like hormones and medications. The original study tested 80 waterways in the US and found that ALL of them had high concentrations of everything from illegal drugs to anti-biotic to birth-control and more. There is even some evidence that the animals and fish in rivers and waterways where at their highest concentrations have actually been exhibiting sex changes - males growing female organs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Here's an older article. Its not just BC, its all kind of crap. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/health/03iht-snwater.1.5126782.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• at hospitals and nursing homes and stuff around here, when a patient dies or has meds that are not used any more they dump them down sewer, flush them down the toilets
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• local channel in arizona...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It's very true and it's not just bcp it's all kinds of medicines including antibiotics, most people are taught to throw old, expired or unused pills down the toilet and unfortunately that goes back into our drinking water eventually. If you go to www.safedrugdisposalnw.org it will tell you the best way to dispose of medications so it isn't affecting our health! It is pretty sad to think of all the stuff in our drinking water and I just read the other day that our fruits and vegetables don't have as many nutrients in them as they used to because of the antibiotics and growth hormones used to make crops go bigger faster! What are we doing to ourselves in the long run?
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010