false ladybugs?

So... ladybugs are good for your garden b/c they eat aphids and not your plants, right? So why are there little ladybugs all over my pumpkin plant, looking very much like they are eating it? They don't look like other ladybugs either - slightly orangy-er, with different heads. Are they "false ladybugs" -- plant-eating beetles disguised as garden friends? Is there such a thing??

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 5:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Around here we call them Asian beetles. They're Nasty! I hate them. Our DNR brought them over to do some good. They weren't supposed to be able to survive our bad winters. But they have! They stink, are annoying and get into things. They also will fill any knook, crevice, window anything they can get into and all get together! I hate them. I hope you don't have them. But they're not right! Seriously ever since we got these here years ago. I have not seen one real genuine good lady bug! These are imposter's!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 5:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• They are the Asian Multicolor Lady beetles. In their native Asian habitat, multicolored Asian lady beetles feed primarily on aphids and other small, soft-bodied insects found in trees. In the U.S., they feed on insects in trees as well as pests in row crops and gardens. In Asia, these insects are usually found congregating in large numbers on white colored cliffs each fall, to overwinter. Lacking cliffs In the U.S., these lady beetles are often found on the west and south sides of tall or prominent, light-colored buildings in mid- to late October. They were introduced in the USA in 1916 by the US department of Ag in CA, to help control the aphids on pecan crops. They were re-introduce in other states in the 60's and again in the 80's. I have not seen a "true" ladybug in years!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• The Multicolored Asian Ladybeetle was imported by the USDA from Japan in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It is voracious on aphids. In its native habitat it nests and roosts in cliffs. In many areas of the US the closest thing it can find to these cliffs are the sides of houses. If they gain entry to the home, sweep them up or vacuum them up and turn them loose back outside.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 5:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Yes, those are "false Ladybugs". http://ohioline.osu.edu/hse-fact/1030.html
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Hey everyone, according to everything I've seen, the asian multicolored little monkeys don't eat plants! They eat aphids just like the real ladybugs. Anyone have info on a ladybug-looking creature that eats pumpkin plants?
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2010