Is there anyone in your close circle of friends who you secretly hate but continue to tolerate them because they are the SO of a really good friend?

I have to bite my tongue so much because of the way my cousin's(who I have always been super close to)wife parents her daughter. Today she let her sit in her stroller and cry and cry, I was tending to my 16 month old, but kept wondering why she wasn't going to her. I finally walked over to her and picked her up, she was soaking wet in pee, her whole stroller was flooded. I was like, when was the last time you changed her, Her mom told me it was before they left home, we had been there for 4 hours! I was like omg...well I said do you have a diaper, she said she didn't bring any and she'd be fine until they got back home, they were in no hurry. So I took her over and put one of DS's diapers on her, and some desitin. I asked her for some dry clothes, and of course she didn't bring any. So the poor child had to run around in only a diaper. I felt so sorry for her. I have always kept my thoughts to myself, but this is too far. Cont

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Bless you for not allowing baby girl (your 2nd cousin) to suffer because of her Mom's lack of preparation or foresight. In answer to your question, yes, and no. First off, I don't include everyone in my egg yolk (so to speak). I allow some people in my egg white and others remain on the outer edges, as border guards. LOL. It's real important to have clear and defined boundaries. I don't look down on a person who doesn't know better. I also realize that a lot of these people are sleepwalking and it's not my job to wake them up! I can only plant a seed and pray that one day I'll be privileged to see it grow. A person can't do better until they know better, especially if they weren't taught better. Commonsense isn't common and parenting doesn't come with a manual. Bind a person and your tongue with the power of prayer!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Would you say something? This isn't the first time. I feel like she neglects her daughter a lot when my cousin isn't around. She has the awfullest diaper rash I have ever seen.What should I say/do? Or should I mind my own?
    BlainesMommy09

Comment by BlainesMommy09 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would speak to her about the situation, but think about what you are going to say and choose your words carefully. You could say that you always take a couple of diapers and a change of clothes because you never know when a baby will need them in a hurry. That's the truth. You can probably help her without offending her if you are very careful how you approach her. Best to you!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Call dept of family n childrens services in ur area. I know it's overdoing it cuz she has a rash but 1) that's not right to be ok about ur baby having a serious rash 2) so far this is what u see. U never know what goes on behind closed doors. Do not b shy about calling cuz ur cousin n wife might get offended, that's not ur priority in this matter, it's their baby's well being since they are showing signs of neglect. I know it's awful to see parents neglecting their kids. We were n da same situation w my cuzins wife. I wish we had called. There were many signs of neglect (LO had BAD constipation n mom would give her orange soda to help WTF??)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Personally I would speak to my male cousin about best way to address his wife, about my concerns, regarding his daughter's rearing. I would also have materials, in hand, about diaper rashes, diaper bag preparation, various ointments, etc. Everybody learns differently and getting a message across, without getting shot down, may require the usage of several mediums.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2010