How do you feel about having to bring things like Kleenex, lysol wipes, ziplocks....

Kleenex
Lysol
Zip-locs
Cups
plastic trash bags
Baby Wipes
Hand sanitizer
printer paper
1 Thumb drive for computer
Set of headphones for computer
Napkins
10 Glue sticks

WTH? Don't we pay taxes to pay for stuff like this? How do you feel about buying items like Headphones, napkins cups

Does it seem like school supply lists are getting LONGER... and more Ridiculous??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Are you referring to back to school stuff? I am with you, the list gets longer every year!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I really don't mind. Its not a requirement.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't know. I know most of school's funding go to books, computers, desks etc. But that does seem a little far fetched.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Ours isn't bad...yet. Ours is one of the smallest in the county. I really don't mind. The thumb drive thing I can see for older kids, but not for elem school. Even the headphones...maybe...might help lice not spread so bad in schools. But if my kids is going to use it...wipes on their desk, tissues, bags to put projects in...then I have no issue buying it...
    Ezranight

Answer by Ezranight at 6:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't have any problem helping out with these type of supplies in the classroom. Our taxes don't go for this stuff. If parents can't manage to help out, it all falls on the teacher's shoulders. They don't make enough as it is. If providing something like a box of kleenex and antibacterial gel is going to help prevent germs in the classroom then I'm all for doing what I can.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• The school district that my sons go to school in and that I teach in do not require the students to buy anything for school. Most parents do provide notebooks, pens, paper and other essentials for their children, but for those who cannot afford these things, the teachers have plenty of supplies. I'm in eastern PA.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It's almost to the point where we can't afford to send our kids to school anymore. Heck, isn't all this comparable to the cost of tuition for private school?? LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• At our kids school, we luckily enough don't have to purchase anything except pencils and paper, and that's only for the older grades. Not sure what we need this year. Still waiting for the list to come home. What grade is all this for? That seems crazy to me.
    sprout.martin

Answer by sprout.martin at 6:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Nope,taxes are not enough to pay for these things. School budgets have been cut to bare bones. This year the weirdest thing we have to provide is a washcloth or sock for erasing the dry erase board! Last year's list was SO ridiculous! This year,not so bad. We're just providing index cards and post-its to the school. I don't mind helping out,the school is a charter.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• unless the thumb drive and headphones are for my kids personal use and we'll get them back, then those would be big no's for purchasing for the school.

I have no problem buying stuff that my child will use - such as the kleenex, glue sticks, etc.
    I personally don't use hand sanitizer and don't want my kids using it either so that will be something I tell the teacher and will not supply.
    Anonymous