How do I get my son to eat?

My DS is 5 and he use to eat all the time. Now he doesn't eat much. And i'm lucky if he eats two full meals a day.

Is this a phase? Do I make him eat?

JayRo00

Asked by JayRo00 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it's a phase. When he gets hungry, he'll eat.
    Save your sanity and don't fight him on it!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It may be a phase but he still needs food to grow and develop properly. I would have him help prepare the meal or try making the food into fun shapes. Have him help you plan the menu.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Probably a phase but so long as his not sickly I wouldn't worry.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• As long as he is drinking plenty of water, has normal energy, and is eating healthy foods, there is nothing to worry about

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It is a phase and this too shall pass. Always provide him with healthy, nutritious foods to eat when he decides he is hungry.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• its a phase.. at least im hoping too. my girl does the same thing. but ive learned they eat if they are hungry. making them eat when they are not will make bad food habits and could cause over weightness.
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 7:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• He's probably not in a growing phase which is when my kids would all eat us out of house and home at those ages. Let him eat like he's eating. As long as he gets one good meal a day - preferably breakfast - its all good.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Juice Plus makes a Gummy that has 17 servings of fruits and vegetables in them. They taste amazing. If he's not interested in eating, giving him these supplements will at least give you the peace of mind that his nutritional needs are being met.
    Go to www.childrenshealthstudy.com for really great nutritional information. If you'd like to try them let me know. If you order the adult capsules for you, your sons order is free. www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 2:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• my lil brother ate a lot more when we took away the sweets and potato chips. when my mom was giving them to him that is all he wanted. just make sure to have him eating balanced and around the same time e day. a lot of toddlers dont eat in the daytime cause it makes their tummies upset. just let him eat when he wants to. it will pass.
    Evie101682

Answer by Evie101682 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Give him balanced meals at mealtime only. He'll eat when he's hungry. A child won't eat at mealtimes if they've been grazing on snacks all day.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010