My son tripped and hit his eyes on the futon.....

It cut his eye on the eye lid and below it.... he is acting normally but I am wondering if I should take him into the ER or will he be ok? His eye is swollen a little but he is showing no signs of a concussion...... Advice please (I am a first time mom)

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there excessive bleeding? Did he pause to cause or start crying almost immediately? Is he vomiting?
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Woops, pause to cry, not pause to cause. lol
    Georgie0502

• No, he cried right after and is now fiine.... but looking at his swollen eyes just makes me so sad.... it isn't bleeding anymore
    June_Mama09

Comment by June_Mama09 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Omg. I thought this said he ripped his eye! Sorry, minor freak out on my part. lol.

I bet you already put some ice on it, but I'd give my son (if he weren't a baby) some tylenol to help with swelling.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• sorry I can't type today lol
    June_Mama09

• I would only take him to the ER if he starts to vomit then. Pausing before crying, vomiting, and excessive bleeding are the bad signs. If he sounds okay, I'd just give him something cold to put on it, some tylenol for the pain, and let him get back to playing. You're probably a lot more worried about it than he is. :)
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• ah my daughter just hit her eye on the corner of a night stand :( well just right on her eye lid. it was sad... i was nervous too but she was being normal. rthat was a few days ago and she still has a little bruise.

id just keep an eye on him and make sure he is acfting normal.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Freaked you out more than him, sounds like he'll be ok
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• HELL BE FINE. GO BUY SOME WITCH HAZEL DAB IT ROUND THE EYE NOT IN THE EYE, IT HELPS THE SWOLLEN AND BRISING GO AWAY . U CAN GET IT ANY WHERE WALLGREENS ITS 2$$$ OR LIKE 1.79 ANYWAY GET THAT I USE WE ALL USE IT EVEN WORKS FOR MINOR SCRATCHES AND INSECTS BITES,
    suunj1980

Answer by suunj1980 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• as long as it's not bleeding and he isn't acting like he has a concusion he should be fine. just make sure it's not too deep to where he may need stiches. my dd (almost 5 now) is accident prone and we have made many, mostly unnecessary, trips to the er.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2010