breastfeeding and silver sulfadiazine burn cream?

The doctor knew I was breastfeeding, the nurse tech (a young guy) said it was fine it's a topical ointment, the pharmacist told me no tests had been done to know if it came out in breastmilk and the label says 'nursing mothers should discontinue nursing or discontinue use'

does anyone know the deal with this?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I googled and found this on merck.com

"Breast-Feeding Considerations

It is not known if sulfadiazine is found in breast milk following topical application; however, sulfonamide serum concentrations may reach therapeutic levels following application to extensive areas. Oral sulfadiazine is contraindicated in nursing mothers since sulfonamides cross into the milk and may cause kernicterus in the newborn (refer to Sulfadiazine monograph)."
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• you are using the silvadene? and is it a very big area? Like the size of a quarter, or size of ????? you name it.

and is there any chance the baby can get some rubbed off from you? I'm going to try to find you an answer. :) Hold on....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• yes, i have been told to use that while bf two of my 3 kids. i was paranoid about it too and told the dr. i would not use it. i just used neosporin instead. i think i used it a couple of times before i fully read the label though (silly me i assumed it was safe bc it was prescribed by my ob who knew i was ebf). i didn't see any affect in my kid from it, but i would definately not use it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• We put aloe jelly on burns.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• If burn wounds cover extensive areas of the body, Silvadene may be absorbed into the bloodstream

Although it is not known whether Silvadene appears in breast milk, other sulfa drugs are excreted in breast milk and can cause harm to a nursing infant. If Silvadene Cream 1% is essential to your health, your doctor may advise you to stop breastfeeding until your treatment is finished.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/pdr/silvadene-cream-1.html#ixzz0tQ2Pxxh5

I would call your pediatrician or a lactation consultant to really decide what to do. Good luck!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• the burn is the size of a dollar bill folded in half, it is from a motorcycle pipe and is wrapped in gauze, no way it would topically get on her.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• is it just a burn or did it burn the skin off down to the meat? if it's just a burn i would just do aloe
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• So it can cause kernicterus in a newborn?? what! what about an 8 month old?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I looked it up in Medications and Mothers Milk by Dr. Hale. It is listed as L3, moderately safe "The silver component is not absorbed form the skin. Sulfadiazine is partially absorbed. After prolonged therapy of large areas, sulfadiazine levels in plasma may approach therapeutic levels. Although sulfonammides are known to be secreted into human milk, they are not particularly problematic except in the newborn period when they may produce kernicterus. Pediatric concerns: None reported, but studies are limited. Observe caution during the newborn period"

Personally, I would not be worried with the size of burn you mention and an 8 month old.
    Keep in mind that almost ALL labels say not to use while breastfeeding, even on things that are totally fine, as the company wants to avoid lawsuits.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree with Maggiemom, I think the burn size/ amount of med you are talking about and an 8 month old, I think you are okay. IMHO.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010