Is it safe to take my 11 1/2 month old swimmig at the lake?

I have heard it's fine and then I have heard it's not safe till after a year old.

itsallabtthem84

Asked by itsallabtthem84 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've taken my kids swimming in the lake when they were that age......the only thing I had a problem with was them putting their mouths in the water and drinking some of it (yuck). I still have that problem though with my 8 year old! Just be careful his face doesn't get in the water and he'll be fine :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• sure we did it!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My 7 month old has been swimming in the lake several times this summer. He LOVES it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• after seeing the show monsters inside me, i personally wouldnt bring my 13 month old son swimming in a lake. i just stick to the pools & maybe even the ocean if it wasnt too rough.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It depends on the lake. I grew up on a lake and used to be a life guard and swim instructor. Some lakes have something in them that can give kids swimmers itch. I'm not going into details because I don't want to scare people. It's a rash. If you rinse off with plain water after swimming then you are OK. If there aren't showers you can buy the camper's showers and take them along.

Kids can get swimmers ear, an infection of the outer ear. It really, reallly hurts. You can keep the baby's ears out of the water or use ear plugs. Kids can also get infections of the eyelid. There are also leches that live in weeds that can become attatched to the skin. Putting salt on them will make them drop off. I've had all these things. It was just part of living, swimming, and water skiing on a lake.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Pools and the ocean have their own issues. I don't like going in public pools and would never let my baby or toddler in a public kiddie pool that other kids have been in. I'm so happy we now have our own pool that I can control and my grandson can go swimming in a nice safe pool.

The ocean scares me with my kids with jelly fish and the nasty tasting water. One of my sons loved crawling along where the waves just touched him. We have great pictures. My mother lives in FL.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010