What is your favorite cold (meatless) meal?

We live without air conditioning, and I am always looking for new ideas.

Asked by rkoloms at 8:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Ice cream!!! :) Sorry I don't have any ideas for you.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Cook felafel ahead of time, and drain it on a cooling rack so it doesn't get soggy, then make felafel sandwiches. Cold sesame/peanut noodles. Lettuce wraps. Vietnamese summer rolls. Gazpacho with big chunks of chopped veggies and croutons added when you eat it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Greek couscous salad or a mixed green salad with dried cranberries, walnuts and goat cheese with raspberry dressing.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Egg salad sandwiches and a tossed salad? I'm sorry, we're meat eaters and heat our food almost always, lol. I'm not much of a help.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• do you eat dairy? I make bruschetta (olive oil, fresh plum tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, salt and pepper). I leave that on the counter to maserate (sp) and then add whole pasta- if it's really hot, I boil water in the microwave, add the pasta, then set the timer for the length of time pasta should cook. i add either fresh mozzarella or fresh parm to that. . .

you can also add canellini beans, leftover grilled asparagus, cucumber dices, really whatever, but the base is the tomatoes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to add, you then put it in the fridge if you want it cold later, or you can serve at room temperature, or warm. It's yummy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• strawberry cream soup! With avocado sandwiches made with herbed mayo. Mmmmm... I wanna make that now! I have a great recipe for the soup.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Last night I made a huge pasta veggie salad for a potluck today, and brought most of it home. I ate a bowlful for supper tonight. I used mini bowtie pasta (1lb), a bunch of broccoli cut into tiny florets, head of cauliflower chopped up, 1lb of carrots that I shredded, half a red bell pepper chopped, half a green bell pepper chopped, half a red onion finely chopped, a cucumber seeded & chopped, a big handful of radishes sliced, a couple cups of Miracle Whip and a packet of dry ranch. Tomorrow I'm actually going to add some chopped grilled boneless skinless chicken breast for lunch.

4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Pasta salad. Cook up some spiral pasta, combine mayo with either ranch or italian dressing, add whatever veggies you like. I use green peppers, onions, celery,carrots, olives. Always taste great on a hot day. You can also use crockpot recipes for all sorts of things so you are not heating up the kitchen during the day. And green salads of any type, the more veggies on it the better. Fruit salad is good too, fresh or canned fruit. Sometimes I mix it up with Cool Whip and serve it as a dessert. Or just a simple fruit and cheese platter can be really refreshing in the summer. And I've been known to eat milkshakes or sundaes for dinner on really hot days LOL.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 11:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Start with a flatbread, pita or totilla and layer it with a hummus flavor of your choice, fresh greens, tomatoes, red onion, and an olive tapenade - YUM!

Any type of cold pasta with steamed veggies & a dressing is good, too.

Tuna or salmon salad if you do fish.

Baba Ganoush is wonderful with a flatbread or in a pita with fresh veggies (it's like hummus, but instead of chickpeas, you use eggplant).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:59 AM on Jul. 12, 2010