How to deal with a cranky teen?

My 14 year old crabass was at a sleep over last night. She has been a whiney crank, even after a two hour nap. I want to put duct tape over her mouth. Other than popping into the neighborhood tavern for a cold one, how do I not kill her?

Asked by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You kind of have to just wait it out... bite your tongue if you can... and let them know you still love them anyways.I know its hard...I have done it before 3x and have another one to go through it with all over again.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• whats wrong with the neighborhood tavern?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• First.. drop the negativism... she may be cranky... and the attitude you have in this post isn't going to help her any. She needs to be given choices. If she has something to say it must be nice and respectful and you will let her be around you but if she does not then she needs to spend time in her room. She needs to know that she can make wise choices with her behavior and that mouthing off is not acceptable behavior. You also need to make some choices in how you treat her and talk about her as well.
    I for one have never revered to my sons with bad names.. and I do my utmost best to speak about them with love and respect while stating from time to time that I am struggling with their behavior. Children learn behavior from their parents.. you set the good example and they will follow it if they choose to make that wise choice.
    Choice is yours:-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Purplebutterfly.. maybe its just not wise to drink at a time like this.. its only temporary sulotion to a deeper issue. I wouldnt encourage it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• shanealge777, you are as cranky as her daughter. you need to take a chill pill girlfriend. this was obviously asked in a "jokinh" matter and i personally think it is a wise time to drink. what better of a time to drink then when your teen is a crabass and your annoyed? get with the program biatch!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Jump on a plane and go on vacation....lol. Girl you just have to pick your battles if she is being rude and cranky then give her the silent treatment and when she is ready to talk tell her how she was acting and how she made you feel about her attitude and when she gets that way she needs to stay in her room until she can come out and be nice...cool whatever. My mom kicked my ass and sent me to my grandparents but she was never really a good mom to me anyway so...I don't advise that, I think at the end of the day she will love you for being there for her and trying to understand. Good luck.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Fortunately, she fell asleep (maybe while I was posting my question), and is still asleep.

Thank you to everyone who was empathetic!

For the record, I would never call my daughter a crabass to her face (this is called a vent), or go to a bar to escape my child (this is called humor).

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 5:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• don't you just love the teen years??lol just ignore her hormones i tell ya lol lol
    jodi43

Answer by jodi43 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• IGNORE her. She is obviously old enough to be left home alone, I would leave and do something fun for myself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• (as this was obviously a vent)...take some duct tape, step one, tape her mouth, step 2, have hubby hold her to the ceiling, step 3, tape her crabass butt there...lol step 4, have a drink under her prone taped body....and the whole time make faces at her.
    you're welcome lol.(and a disclaimer so Shaneagle doesnt flip....yes its a joke lol).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2010