Cure this smell!

We recently bought a house, and the first level (which isn't underground) smells very musty! We live in Maryland, where it's humid. We bought a dehumidifier and had a small patch of mold remediated that was in the laundry room, which is the only room down there that doesn't smell. I don't know what to do. The carpet is new, but we're thinking of removing it and putting pergo down because it may contain the smell. We don't have any pets. We don't smoke. I'm running out of ideas as to how to fix it. We put charcoal down there because it's supposed to absorb the smell. Nothing has worked! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I hate to say it, but if you had mold in one of the downstairs rooms, and are experiencing this, you likely have it throughout.

We lived in a mold infested house (without knowing it) for several years, if it is treated soon enough, you can rectify the situation.

Wall board also harbors those odors- if you are CERTAIN that you do not have mold throughout, then I would suggest getting some "Killz" and painting over everything. They make all kinds of paint, but you will want to use one that is a base, or a barrier- it is designed to hide stains, cover dark paint, and also used as a protective coating to help eliminate odor.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• There is probably moisture in the walls. I don't know how to fix that, though.
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• You need to see if you have mold BEHIND any surfaces.
    And for the room that is the worst smelling - place a bowl of vinegar on a table overnight and see if that helps.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would be afraid that there is mold in your walls. You may need to get a mold inspection and if they find it you will have to tear out the wall board and insulation and start fresh.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2010