My son is 16 months old and he chews on his bed. Anyone know why or how to stop it?? Thanks!

Maigan20

Asked by Maigan20 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know if they still do, but they used to sell those plastic crib rail strips. Good luck hon.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It's basically teething and exploring new textures. Both of my girls did it. They used to sell rubber/plastic crib rail covers that let the kiddos chew on the plastic/rubber instead of the crib. If you go for that option, be careful. Not all of them fit on all cribs.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Sounds like a Beagle puppy! LOL.
    Put some hot sauce on the rails? Just kiddin'
    I have no clue. My kids didn't chew on the crib. But I guess I would put some kind of rubber or plastic strip on the rails. If they make something like that?
    OR...give him a Binky...pacifier....rubber toy? He is probably teething.Needs something safe to chew on.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• He is teething. IKEA sells a guard for the rail for a very decent price.
    Milaya2

Answer by Milaya2 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My son did this as well when he was teething. The only thing that helped him stop was some oragel and a pacifier.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Being over a year a binky is a very bad idea. Chances are he has most of his teeth, the pre molars are the last to come in and more often than not the hardest. A binky will mess up his tooth structure and if he gets hooked your looking at a bad time just breaking him of one.
    It's teetheing but giving him a teether is not smart because of the liqued in it and him already having some chompers. Try a ice cube in one of those mesh bags they sell, right before nap and bed to help soothe and the orajel is awesome.
    If you can get him a tooth brush (non flouride toothpaste only) and just wet it, let him chew away! lol They are a dollar at Targer.
    My DD is now 21 months and Im a dental assistant. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2010