Why do some assume when yo talk about your baby/child that the child is a boy?

itsallabtthem84

Asked by itsallabtthem84 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it is just an old way of responding to anything or person as he. Now inclusive writing or speech says it's suppose to be he/she. But who really wants to go around saying he/she. Then the next arguement would be..... why does he come before she anyway's.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• due to our patriarchal/sexist society, when writing in the 3rd person, it's just always been the standard to use he/him. It's nothing personal, so don't get all bent out of shape about it.

from a writing website:
    "when referring to unspecified tender of gender, by general english rule, it would be much more appropriate that they are referenced with masculine sex tender . the reason for this, would be masculine dominance. logically, “it” cannot be used since they are living things. the rule says singular living things are referenced by a masculine pronoun."

so in short, if you don't specify what you have, don't get mad at her being called a him
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Many people just use the word "he" for a general sense... it is improper to say their, though most do. Rather than writing he/she all the time, people just use the term "he" in place of all. It used to be what was done- now a days, people complain about sexism so you'll see magazines and writers intermittently use he or she or he/she.

I doubt most people assume anything, they just don't know and therefore use a royal pronoun.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't know, but this just happened to me, lol
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Has never happened to me. No mistaking Tess for a boy's name. lol....
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Meant you not yo.
    itsallabtthem84

Comment by itsallabtthem84 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• That's funny you ask that, just the other day I asked about my 5 YO who has poison ivy and every answer assumed I was talking about a boy. I don't mind, I mean, I didn't specify that it was my daughter, and I appreciated all the kind responses, I just found it funny that they all assumed boy. I even re-read my question to see if I wrote it wrong, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I think people just kind of automatically do it...better to call a girl a boy...than a boy a girl... ya know......people seem to do that with dogs too for some reason.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• DarkFaery I never said I was mad about anything. Just wondering why people assume this that's all.
    itsallabtthem84

Comment by itsallabtthem84 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Someone in another post refer to a baby as an it... I had to bite my tongue but I find that more offensive than assuming a child is a boy! I to think its automatic to think that way.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010