Can anybody tell me if they've had the Mirena put in and what they have to say about it?

Jrilo

Asked by Jrilo at 8:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Health

• Hi I havent tried it, but I have an appointment to get one in, my doc say it will cramo for a day or two I also will get a 800mg morphine before the procedure. My girlfriend said the procedure didnt really hurt just uncomfortable.
    supermom2005

Answer by supermom2005 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I did...hurt alot when inserted and felt weird for a couple of days but then was fine....I had irregular periods for about 3 months and then they stopped completely. You will get some clots from time to time-normal. I do get acne now-a side effect-which sucks big time (I'm 40 with pimples...lol)...but otherwise, things are fine....
    I actually had mine placed for medical reasons and I got pre-approved through my insurance and then they denied the claim AFTER it was placed...it's not like I could return it or anything....grrrrrrrrrr....so I did end up having to pay for the entire thing out-of-pocket....about $500. But if you look at cost of BC over a 5 year period, I guess it's ok.
    Overall, I'm happy with it.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• supermom....MORPHINE??? wow--nice doctor you have!!! lol. I got a pill to take the night before to soften the cervix but was told just to use ibuprofen after. I do think morphine is a bit much...it only hurts for about 3 seconds....then some cramping for a couple of days

side note: as a nurse I know 800mg of morphine will kill you--you sure it wasn't motrin??? BIG difference :-)
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I had it for 9 months. It hurt like a son of a gun for about a week... I was irregular for 12 weeks with lots of spotting during that time. However, after that I didn't have a period for 3 months. It was wonderful! Mine was done for medical reasons and it didn't help as I'd hope and I ended up with a hysterectomy. Though, had I used it for birth control... I think it would have been ideal.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i tried it, my periods were irregular and the hormones it has put me in pms overload! i was moody ALL the time. i felt anxious and half crazy. i ended up having it removed had it worked on me the way i had hoped i would have been great! just look into the pros and cons before committing, it is kinda pricey. http://www.medications.com/se/mirena (wish i would have researched it better) best of luck!
    mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3

Answer by mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2010