My daughter has curly hair, and she won't let me comb it! How do I comb the tangles and knots out?

My 2 year old daughter's hair is a nightmare!! She has medium-length curly hair, and it is getting matted and tangled. I try my best to comb it without pulling at it, but she runs as soon as she sees the comb! I've been trying to do some work on it little by little each day, working on the most problematic areas, but she won't sit still. If you were to look at her hair, you wouldn't notice the matting and tangles, but I DO, because I see her every day.

Please tell me how I can get her hair untanlged?? I've tried conditioner, leave-in conditioner, water, you name it.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My husband does our daughter's hair. He washes it with L'oreal kids fast dry shampoo, rinses it well, and then slaps a ridiculous amount of conditioner (also L'oreal kids) on the matted areas if there are any, and leaves it sit while he bathes her. then he turns her around and brushes the conditioner through her hair. I've seen him start with a wide tooth comb if it's really bad, but usually he uses a paddle brush. Then he rinses.

I take one of the older small baby towels (the kind with the pocket in the corner, and put the pocket on her head, wrap the towel around and down her back, and squeeze, rather than scrub at or rub her head.

She doesn't go to bed with a wet head ever.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• What about the spray that Johnson and Johnson use to have "No More Tangles" you spray it in her hair and use a wide comb or paddle brush...start from the bottom of her hair and work your way up. Hope this helps.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I use the J&J nor more tangles for curly hair, we use the shampoo and thent he leave in conditioner and then after the conditioner has sat for 5-10 minutes I spray it with the detangler as i comb/ & brush it. My daughter has the tight spiral curls that are so beautiful but can drive you crazy trying to comb. Always make sure her hair is wet or damp when you do it otehr wise it hurts much more.

I also hold the hair inthe middle of the strands and comb the bottom so that i am not pulling on her hair, it makes it easier if I have the ends done and then work from the top of the head down.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 9:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Okay, take this from someone who has extremely curly and thick hair and a mother who didn't know how to deal with it... Curly hair is NOTHING like straight hair! You can't comb through it the way you would straight hair, it will only break and damage the hair and make the hair knot up worse.

First, make sure she is using a good conditioner in the shower/bath and is either brushing or combing it through then. That will help to keep down the knots and tangles. It will also help the hair not to break.
    Second, after she gets out of the tub, towel dry her hair and use a leave in conditioner. Use either your fingers or a wide tooth comb to comb it through. If her hair is fine, rather than thick, use a spray through conditioner or simply mix your own using a spray botle and a 1/2 with leave in conditioner and water, that way it won't weigh down the hair.

My son & I both have very curly hair - this is a way of life!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My sister has really curly hair and when we were kids my mom used to have to buy the no more tangles by johnson and johnson...it really does work well. Also, try using a conditioner when you give her her bath...and a wide brush rather than a comb should help. Good Luck!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Comb it out while wet
     Use a good de-tangler, or conditoner
    Start from the bottom of her coils and work your way up to minimize pulling and snags.
    Never comb it out dry it will damage it and it will hurt her.

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 9:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Oh and as to her running when you come with the brush. it sucks it does, but you just have to be firm and not let her fuss about it. A lot of people have said to me, if they fuss and don't let you take care of their hair, get it cut. I HATE that idea with a PASSION, so I am just as firm as I can be and even when she doesn't like it I don't let her get away with pulling away and making it worse.

I think if she gets to where she will NOT let me do her hair, I'll just have to get it cut and I do NOT want to do that. I can't stand the idea, her hair is amazing!
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have curly hair. What I do is put the conditioner on at the beginning of my shower and then kind of comb my fingers through my hair. Then I don't rinse until right before I get out. Then I use a leave-in conditioner - Tresemme has one for curly hair that is cheap, and I only comb my hair when it's wet and with wide tooth comb.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I was going to say a good conditioner. If you haven't yet, try combing it while she is still in the tub and you have put the conditioner on, rub it through, and comb, then rinse straight down so her hair doesn't get tangled again. You may need to go with shorter hair.

Answer by Bmat at 9:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• you've tried conditioner and it's not working? how are you doing it?
    I put in the conditioner and run the pick or comb through it.
    if that doesn't work, then don't know
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2010