Help with reward chart please.

I've decided to try a reward chart with my 3 year old. She already does the things on the list but we'd like her to do them consistently and or with less fuss.

So far, I have: Brush teeth (morning and night) but I haven't decided if that should be 1 line or two separate lines.

Clean up your playroom.

Eat all of your dinner.

Do something nice (or something, I'm not really set on this one yet but I'm stumped for more ideas).

Now how should the rewards at the end of the week work? A prize for each full weeks completed task, or only a prize if everything on every line is full for the week?

I was thinking of new books and movies as bigger rewards, like a whole month of full charts. Or letting her pick a family activity like going to Chuck E Cheese, or a park or something along those lines.

I have no idea what to do for smaller rewards. I want to stay away from food as a reward and don't need a house f

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 9:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I saw a great idea in Disney's Family Fun magazine this month. The mom who wrote the article was having a hard time getting her kids to do chores without nagging so finally she had an idea. She bought jars for each kid (ages teens to 3 years old) and little marbles or other small gems, decorated the jars (project for mommy and daughter?), and made a list of chores with a gem value (bushing teeth = 1 gem, trying new foods = 5) when the jar fills up there is a reward (date with mommy or daddy, extra 30 minutes of tv, say up 30 minutes later on Friday. . . ) I hope this sparks your imagination.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• For our chore chart each time the kids complete a chore they get a sticker in that box. Then at the end of the day if they have at least 3 out of their 5 chores done, they get a reward out of the reward bucket. In the reward bucket I have trinkets, stickers, candy.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• small rewards could be something as easy as picking what you have for dinner ( I know you said you wanted to stay away from food, but you are going to eat dinner anyway) or it could be stickers or it could be getting to pick a game on family game night or what movie you get to watch. These are all treats that can be special, but do not cost anything really.

I personally divide the brush teeth part for AM and for PM. I would not do a prize for every thing on every line. If you want to work up to that, fine, but you want to make sure that the rewards are attainable at first.

My son has autism, so our list is

Get out of bed
    Eat breakfast
    get dressed
    brush teeth
    do homework
    clean room
    brush teeth

I didn't add the eating things for him, he has no problem eating. LOL!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• With the teeth brushing, I would put them in 2 lines, but together.
    I would give rewards for each category. One small thing at the end of the week if all those tasks were completed each day. I would think to make cleaning your play room a bigger reward than the other, since it is a more difficult task.
    Then at the end of the month, yes let her decide on her prize, whether it be to go somewhere or doing something she wants to do. It should be what she wants since she did earn it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• We do a behavior chart rather than a chore chart, but I thought I'd chime in on how we do rewards. I think our son's current chart has 15 boxes on it so if he's been good the entire day (no time outs, no back talking, cleans up, etc.) he gets a sticker at bedtime. After 5 stickers he gets a small toy out of the toy drawer. DH & I go to Target and get a bunch of stuff out of the $1 bins at the front of the store and we may pick up some bigger toys that cost less than $5. Once he fills up all 15 boxes, then he can go to Target and pick out his own toy.

I do like the jar idea, especially since we need to start incorporating chores and other must dos (like brushing teeth) into his chart.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• She's a terrible eater lol. We've really been working on that and she's finally starting to taste most of the food on her plate. Maybe, daily, like an extra story at bedtime? Instead of weekly?

Thanks for the tips!
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Well here's what I started doing. 4 blocks each day

1) Brush my teeth in the morning
    2) Clean my playroom before dinner
    3) Eat my dinner and try all my food
    4) Brush my teeth at night

If she gets a sticker in each box at the end of the day she gets an extra story at bedtime. I figure if she fills all the boxes every day I'll take her to buy a new book.

Sound like a good idea? Or should she be rewarded at the end of the week for each task in case she doesn't completely fill out each day (like if she won't eat dinner one day, that throws off the whole week).

Hope that makes sense! And thanks for your input!
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2010