Summer guests

Have any family, friends, or in laws visiting this summer?

If so... how do you cope with kitchen duty, laundry, etc. ???

Do you just give free reign, or do you cater to your guests? (esp if they are not "Your" guests- but extended fam/in laws dropping through, who are not particularly interested in you)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 9:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• No my house is far too small. I would not cater to guests though. I might say something like the laundry room will be free this afternoon if you wanted to use it or such. Meals, I would hope they would help with. If not you might have to say something like I have been looking for some recipes why don't we make your favorite meal tonight.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I should add too... that we are vegetarians, and they are NOT. I HATE the idea of people who are less than sanitary preparing meat in my kitchen, and potentially making my entire family sick, because of cross contamination.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Just be honest...tell them like you just said it about being a vegetarian or just cook what you have and what your family eats and they can either eat and appreciate it or they can go somewhere else to eat. The laundry just tell them to go ahead and use it as needed. I would make sure that they treat you with respect or they can go stay at a hotel.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Hmm...I mean, I don't think you should have to necessarily cater to guests. We just visited a friend & her family in another state & she asked us if we were vegetarians at all. I'm absolutely not saying to start eating meat to please them, but they should be able to prepare it while staying with you. My friend also just let us know that we could do laundry whenever. For meals, though, we kinda did our own thing for breakfast/lunch, then we all kinda made dinner together. It was fun, but I def see how that would be different for in-laws. Personally, I would most likely cater to them as much as I could, concerning cooking & whatnot. But I would expect guests to keep their belongings to the guest room, not strewn all over & making a mess of my home.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• We had one of his siblings last weekend, and it was a DISASTER!

This weekend, 2 more are coming, and one of their boyfriends... I'm hoping that it goes smoothly. That is all I can hope.

As far as meat in the house goes, well, honestly... Smelling it cooking actually caused me to vomit while the others were visiting last weekend (I can't drive by a FF joint without feeling sick either- it's the smell, I don't WANT to feel sick, but I can't seem to do anything to help it either.) so I am very weary of their meat eating habits. Plus, knowing these people as long as I have, and understanding that their sanitary habits in the kitchen are leaving some things desired- I don't want to get food poisoning from cross contamination.
    Really, I kind of just want to go out of town for the week. They will be here wed-sun.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would tough it out for this week. Let them use the washer whenever possible and politely ask for help. Say Hey help me get these dishes done before we head to the pool. I think they should be able to prepare meat but you should wipe down the counters before you make your food. Dont invite anyone else over..just otugh it out one week and then quit extenting an invite..tell hubby to quit as well!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We have a pool so from Memorial Weekend, until back to school, my house is the family and neighborhood bed and breakfast! It is a constant flow of wet towels and groceries. We are not vegitarians, so I don't have that issue, but I do get sick of always having someone under foot.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2010