I don't fit anywhere...

I always feel like I don't fit in with group of parents locally or online. I always feel like whatever group I join, I'm just outside the beliefs of... I would love to be a part of some kind of play or children's group, but can't ever find one we fit in with...

Anyone else ever feel that way?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• All the time... I'm starting to think that the problem might not be that I don't fit in but that I lack self confidence.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• What do you think sets you apart? I have felt like that at times but I keep putting myself out there. You WILL find a group if you keep trying, Im sure.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• all the time. You might find refuge in a local Humanists group... They may not share your beliefs, but may offer some refuge. And, at the least, a little acceptance.
    I'm an Atheist living in the bible belt, I totally understand.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I'm sorry you feel that way - do you feel that way in "real life" too?
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 9:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I know exactly how you feel :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't have an issue with self confidence - I know that my beliefs and way of life are what is best for me and my family. BUT, because my beliefs and way of life are so different from everyone else it tends to put us apart from others and stops my kids from being a part of anything... They will start school in a year or two but until then I would love for them to have some kind of friends.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• All the time! My son goes to an independent gifted school and while I feel ideologically and politically I am very in tune with the other moms and families, because it is an independent or private school it is very expensive. We receive financial aid for over half our tuition and my mom pays the rest by taking money from her 401 K every year. I am constantly feeling like I don't fit in being lower middle class and living barely paycheck to paycheck. I was in a mothers group for a while and I hated playgroups because while they may have understood the economics better of our family since it was a community based group, politically and ideologically i was worlds apart. Also it seemed all the women were very negative a lot, not watching the children at playgroups and complaining about their husbands the whole time. We all need to vent but it felt so negative all the time so I left. Being a mom makes being you so much harder.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• livewell - I'm talking about "real life" I don't have these issues on line.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I definately feel that way. I don't fit with mainstream groups, because I don't follow blindly. I don't fit with the crunchy groups because I don't buy 100% into all the hippie crap lol. In the Pregnancy group I get in trouble for "bashing" women when they start talking about elective C-sections and inductions and how their doctors "don't allow" X Y or Z. In the natural birth groups I get into trouble for supporting a woman's right to pain medication or the advancement of certain interventions. Birth is my passion, so that's where I spend most of my time lol. Around here it seems like the vast majority of moms are Christian, and while I am very accepting of the Christian lifestyle, most Christians don't much care for mine, and I don't like having to censor myself for their sake. The pagan group here is full of total loonies that scare me lol. I find myself friendless.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010