An interesting take on the First Commandment

"I am the lord, thy god, thou shalt have no other gods BEFORE me"

Notice the emphasis. Could God have possibly meant that He simply didn't want to be superceded? That he was okay with being one of many so long as no others took precedence OVER him?

I realize that idol worship is also in the Ten, but idol's are not gods, idols are objects, and object worship is pretty much universally bad (think of the worship of money). Could this be what God meant all along, that He has other equals but as long as you don't put any other gods above him that it's all good?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've always said this. There is a good amount of proof in the bible itself (and in the very words of YHWH) that there are other Gods. Which is one of many reasons I don't understand how his followers can believe otherwise.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Well, there has been controversy regarding the Ten COmmandments because the original Hebrew version doesn't say that. First of all the First Commandment in Judaism is "I am Hashem, your G-d, Who has taken you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery" (Ex 20:2). It doesn't sound much like a commandment, so that's probably where later translators of the OT make the mistake of assming this wasn't the first commandment. But it is, it's the commandment to believe in G-d.
    Not to have other gods is actually the SECOND commandment. And it doesn't say "before me". Exodus 20:3 "You shall not recognize the gods of others in My presence". Because G-d is omnipresent, that's always. We are ALWAYS in G-d's presence. This prohibition also includes worhipping idols and/or using idols as a way to worship G-d.

http://www.jewfaq.org/10.htm

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• God didn't write the commandments,man did
    Anonymous

• Anything we put before the one & only true God becomes a god in our life. That could be money, food, our spouse, our job or anything else. That means there are other "gods", but there is only one true God. There was none before Him & there will never be one after. He was, is & always will be the only true living God.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Anon: They were dictated if one is to believe the bible.

Ex. 34:27 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: ... And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Isaiah 45:22-Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else.
    Isaiah 46:9- Remember the former things of old: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else; [I am] God, and [there is] none like me,
    Joel 2:27- And ye shall know that I [am] in the midst of Israel, and [that] I [am] the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• This is why Jews don't recognize Jesus

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Oh Geez...this will be dramatic
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't understand why God saying that other religions serve false gods is Him admitting there are other "Gods" other than Him? He isn't stupid, He knows other religions serve gods, and He says over and over the He is the only TRUE God. The phrase "before God" means in front of His face http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=H6440. And since God can see everywhere and everything at anytime, any time would be "before his face".
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I do believe in a way that there are "other" gods...but not like greek mythology type ones....
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010