How long should I try to burp my 2 week old before giving up?

I always feel guilty when I give up and she hasn't burped but sometimes she just won't.

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 10:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds is 3 months old and doesn't always burp right away, sometimes i can't get him to burp at all. i pat his back and change postitions and after 10-15 minutes i stop. then after a while he tends to burp on his own, if i didn't get him to.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• One of my boys was like that, and he would end up throwing up. Try pushing in while you rub from the base of his back to her shoulder blades...I found that worked a little better. Make sure to "tip" her over to....cause it'll help the air come up. I would say give it 30 min at the most.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Try different positions. My son at that age would only burp on his belly with his head in my hands and one leg n each side of my arm
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• only 2 out of 5 of my kids were burpers at all! i have a burper now, and a few times in the beginning i have forgotten she needs to be burped :(
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree with the other two but, if your BF'ing the child may not burp at all.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My ds is 4wks and hardly ever burps. we are ebf and he doesnt shallow much air when feeding.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i had to try different ways everytime with my daughter and if every different position didnt wirk i would give up and try again later.
    lovemyelizabeth

Answer by lovemyelizabeth at 11:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• dd sometimes just would not burp. I found that if I put some pressure on her stomach she would. Alot of times something as easy as going from laying to being held upright would make her burp.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i def would not try for a half hour!!! like the other posters said, sometimes they do sometimes thaey don't. try for how ever long you feel is right for you and your baby. i get good ones from my lo by sitting them up on my lap and tilting them holding their chin.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would try for about half a minute to a minute. If she seemed especially fussy then I would sometimes try again for longer, but I wasn't going to routinely sit there for 10 minutes or more waiting for a burp that may never happen.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2010