Fluffy and cakey cookies?

Everytime I make cookies I follow the recipes EXACTLY....even to altitude adjustments. Why do my cookies come out fluffy and cakey? They're never chewy! It's really frustrating because I hate cakey cookies!
People have told me I may be mixin them too much and putting too much air in the cookie batter....but I hand mix, and only mix until all ingredients are incorperated. What am I doing wrong?????

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Are your ingredients room temperature?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• try using butter instead of margarine.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I will give you my recipe and my method and see if it helps you any. My recipe has all butter, more brown sugar vs. white sugar (most recipes are the other way around) and my recipe has both baking soda and powder, not just soda. I also make the dough ahead of time and chill it well, like the night before I bake, or at least 4 hours in advance. I use an ice cream scoop and make the cookies into golf ball sized chunks, which I flatten into discs on the baking sheet.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
    2 sticks salted butter, softened, at room temp
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
    2 1/2 t. vanilla extract
    2 eggs, room temp
    3 c. flour (aerate the flour with a spoon before filling measuring cups, level with back edge of butter knife)
    1/2 t. salt
    1 t. baking powder
    1 t. baking soda
    12 oz. pkg semi sweet chocolate chips

Cont.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Cream butter and both sugars with vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Combine all dry ingredients. Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture scrape bowl. Mix until just combined (don't over mix). Stir in chocolate chips until thoroughly combined. Cover and chill well, at least 4 hours before baking. Use ice cream scoop to make golf ball sized gobs of dough. Place onto cookie sheet 2" apart and flatten slightly to make a disc. Bake in oven preheated to 325 for 9-10 minutes. Just until edges are golden brown.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• PS I do believe that for a cakey cookie, the recipe has more white sugar and less brown, if I'm not mistaking. It seems I remember trying a recipe once that had barely any brown sugar and the cookies came out very cakey. I believe it is the brown sugar that gives it the "chew factor".
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I just remembered that I have tried a cookie recipe that called for a tablespoon or so of milk to be added to the dough. I believe that extra moisture also will add fluff and cake-iness. So if the recipe you are using calls for milk that may also be why.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• **EDIT the baking temp to 350. **

Sorry about that.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Lessen the amount of baking powder.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have, and it still doesn't work.....they come out cakey...ugh
    CAGirl4

Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2010