Daughter throws fits wherever we go, in the store at a restaurant ect,. turned 2 two months ago,, what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Schedule your grocery shopping after DD's nap so she is well rested, schedule eating out at a time that is not close to bedtime and verbally reinforce appropriate behavior looong before you arrive at the store or resturant. My DD was around that age when she threw a ginormous fit in Target. I told her that if she continued to scream, we were going to go straight home and go to bed. She continued to act out, so I left my cart, drove straight home, and when we walked in the door, she said, "C'mon momma, let's play!" I said, "No ma'am, you are going straight to bed for screaming in Target" She was so upset, but now, I prepare her on the drive by saying, "Now remember, if you scream in Target, you go home and go straight to bed" She hasn't done it since. She's 3 now, and if she hears a kid screaming in Target, she'll say, "Momma, no screaming in Target. He/She should go straight home to bed!" LOL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Where ever you are you pick her up, and take her outside. You tell her that we do not behave this way. This is what I do with my 2.5 daughter. Now even when I stand she tells me sorry mommy, I will be good. I also take something that she really likes, a baby doll she does not get it back to the next day. Good Luck!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Think food and fatigue first. Toddlers have a hard enough time controlling themselves...if they're hungry or tired there is just no hope. If it isn't food or fatigue, go with what sta517 said.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Give her a timeout
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I agree with the poster above, consider if she is hungry, thirsty or most of all, overtired. Sleep is the biggest reason I see this in my daughter of the same age. I also agree with picking her up and taking her outside while coaching her on behavior. For sleep, check out Weisbluth's book and just go to the parts that apply to your daughter at this age. I'm going back to it myself!
    boswellsgirl25

Answer by boswellsgirl25 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2010