Would it be a good idea for me, a pagan, to attend a UU church?

I'm really wanting to find a niche... a place to contemplate and grow spiritually, but there are no pagan congregations around here. I'm thinking very seriously about attending a Unitarian Universalist church here, and wanted to get some opinions.

I'm nervous about it because it IS in it's fundament a Christian organization. I have issues with monotheism and the control-freak god of the Christians, and want nothing to do with it, but it really seems like the UU church is VERY different from any other Christian spawned church.

What do you think? Given my discomfiture with christianity, will I find welcome there? Is there a decent chance I'll meet others like me or is it going to be just another Christian congregation?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Your beliefs tend to be rather all inclusive - like mine. I would say because of that a UU church could be a good option for you. UU churches tend to be a nice compromise between Pagan & Christian - they are more "spiritual" than religious in nature. I would say check out the website (uua.org) and see what you think. If you have one local try it out for a few weeks and see what you think. I would love to join one, I think that since my DH is Christian and I am Eclectic Pagan it would be a good way for us to find a middle ground in religion, BUT, the closest one for us is 2+ hours away and he won't drive that far for religion - right now he doesn't even go to a local church... My advice is check it out and make the choice for yourself!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I would tell you to go once and try it. I don't have any UU around me but I've been lucky enough to find other 'Norse' pagans. (Mainly we do rune casting). This may sound a bit weird but put an add in the paper advertise a pagan gathering at a local park. You might be surprised at how many people show up. Goddess bless
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 10:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I say try it out. If you don't like it then you don't have to go back.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I think you'd be okay there. I am a Christian, but one of my aunts goes to a Unitarian Universalist church, which is what you meant, right? They don't use a Bible, there may be a few references to a "God", but it's not christian. Actually, her congregations's focus lately is environmentalism. This is in metro Minneapolis, in case you were wondering.

JMO.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• It depends on the UU - each congregation is different, just like any other kind of church or fellowship. The one nearest us I used to like a lot, but when the pastor who officiated our wedding left and a new one came in, the tone changed to a little too militant liberal for my tastes. You won't know what kind of a fit it is until you check it out, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• We go to a UU church. It's in Georgia and our congregation is not very Christian at all. Yes, we have Christian root as an organization, but each congregations very different. Our reverend was raised orothdox Jew and is gay and Is a proclaimed atheist. We have a pagan group that meets as well. The UU church is a gathering place for tolerant people to connect with others. Then we worship in our own small groups.

That's how my congregations anyway. Go try it. I love being a UU. I know it's a great opportunity for my DD to learn about other faiths and find her path and learn that kindness matters.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I have attended a UU Church and they were so nice. We usually hear about different religions and have an alter set up for as many holidays and rituals as possible. My Pagan group has had rituals there, not to mention Buddhist meditation time. I have not ever seen a UU Church that was not open minded. AND if you can't make it or only go every now and then........no one gives you a guilt trip about it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I say you try it out and see if you like it! The craft, which is pagan for those who might not know, teaches that all paths to God are equal and correct. So I would encourage you to see if this church has what you are looking for.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 6:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• How many UU's does it take to change a light bulb?

We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, that is fine. You are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your light bulb for the next Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incadescent, fluorescent, three-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.

yeah...you should be fine. Attend service a few times, and THEN make your decision.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Solara, I've been to a local pagan meetup and the pagans in my area are scary lol. They seem to use paganism as a means to be really, really weird and have it be accepted. So I'm avoiding them lol.

Sabrina, I'm on the website now, listening to the available sermons lol. So far it seems more like a political discussion group rather than a spiritual one. And I wouldn't drive 2 hours either! Maybe you should move to Arizona so we can buddy up lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2010