What can I do to get her sleep better? Why is she waking up? HELP!

My 2 year old is going to sleep fine,but waking up a couple hours later and is up most of the night. We are moving in 2 weeks,so this could not be coming at the more worst time. She used to sleep all night.

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 10:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When ever my son seems to suddenly change his sleep patterens like this it seems to either be from being sick or from teething. You could try tylenol, motrin, oragel. Anything that seems to help. Good luck.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 10:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• My daughter is 2.5 and sometimes she will do this every few weeks. She has been doing this to me for about 3 weeks now. She will go back to her same schedule. They at this age dream or just want to know that you are still there. Just pick her up hold her for a few minutes and put her back down, this seems to work for me. Good Luck!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• This is something my mom, who watches my DD, and I argue over. When she gets into this pattern and I know we don't have big and busy days planned we skip her nap. She doesn't have a meltdown and sometimes goes to bed early or even a little late but she gets back to sleeping the whole night in just 1 or 2 days.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• She may have teeth coming in. The only time my dd wakes up in the night is when she is teething.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Is she cutting her second year molars? Try a little motrin before bed and see if that helps.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• we are very lucky we don't have, and never had, issues with sleep because dd sleeps in bed with us. it could be teething, a growth spurt, or an oncoming illness. does your lo nap during the day? if so, for how long? if it's not teething, growth spurt, or an illness, maybe limiting or eliminating naps might help? also, has your child been to the dentist yet? it might be worth it to have a check up. what does your lo do while awake at night? eating? playing? seem fussy or tired? those answers may help to figure out what's going on. it's also possible your lo may just need extra comforting, and to be reassured you're there. how do you feel about co-sleeping?
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• We are struggling with this right now, my daughter is 33 months old so almost three. She has been up since 1 am and its now 4:30 am. She just got over being sick, so had been giving her benadryl to get her throught the night. After she got better she is doing this now and staying up for hours, which means I can't take her to daycare at 7:30 a.m. since she's just gone back to sleep at 4:30 or 5 a.m. I'm exhausted to boot. Days she skips her nap like today are worse. In the sleep books they tell you that naps and going to bed early actually help prolong their sleep at night, contrary to what you might think. She went down at 8:30 tonight. In her case I think the false drowsiness from the medicine spoiled her some, and she forgot how to get herself to sleep. When the "edge" of exhaustion wears off halfway through the night and she wakes for comfort, she can't soothe herself back. Maybe that could be it for your child.
    boswellsgirl25

Answer by boswellsgirl25 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• How late is her afternoon nap? What time is her bed time? My girls (3yr and 1yr) share a room and take an nap from 1pm-3pm and then bed time is 7:30pm. It could be that the nap is to late in the day and so while she is tiered at bed time she isn't tiered enough to sleep threw the night.
    Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I have been dealing with this for 8 months, ever since my son has been 2 - he has never been a good or great sleeper but once he turned 2 he stopped sleeping through the night - I had to retry all the infant methods I tried for him as a baby and still some nights he can wake up 6-7 times - I don't have any answers though - right now we are bribing him that if he sleeps ALL night long, he will get a doughnut in the morning, but I mean, he can't help when he wakes up either so I don't know.. we are at a loss - some nights I end in his room, some nights he will go back to bed with me talking to him or letting him sleep with my pillow or my shirt. somenights are just really long either way - then every few weeks he'll throw in a night that he'll sleep through - we have white noise machine in his room, it is dark enough with a night light also we've tried blue white and green colors for calming reasons, he has a routine
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• cont'd that we've kept up since before he stopped sleeping through the night, we've tried mixing it up to see if that helps, he's also now not always napping so we are hit and miss on the tired/overtired factor - at first i was at my wits end with re-waking like I had an infant but that only left us both to get upset and cry and yell so now, I just try to deal with each night and sleep when he sleeps like an infant again -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2010