How do u share love with the kids w/o hurting the other

My kids are 2 months , 14months n almost 5, my five yr old thinks I pay the baby too much attention. My second child is in Jamaica with da, if I cant balance two what will I do for three. Please this is not for points, Im am scared, tips advise thaanks

supermom2005

Asked by supermom2005 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I try to make sure I spend a little alone time with each child every day. Some simple ones are like my 4 year old helping me make lunch, I let my 3 year old help me mix things for dinner.
    Nap time for the younger ones is also a good time to spend with the older one who doesn't take as many naps.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Just make sure your including the oldest with the youngest.....and make sure your making time for EACH child individually. When my twin boys go down to bed, I always snuggle with my DD who is the oldest, because she doesn't go down until after they do. We go outside and play a little, we make cookies, read books, watch movies....anything so she has her time.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I love both these answers, I've done the alone time and the making sure the kids interact. For the older ones you can ask them to teach the younger ones something simple and try your hardest to stay out of the way. Its adorable and good learning for everyone. I also like to spoil... maybe some one has had a bad day or isnt feeling to good, well then yes, they get their own special dinner. Even if it means extra dishes, they see you listening to them.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Thanks moms I feel like I have a plan when I get home 2morow from work my son want to go to the park to ride his bike, n I will bring him n take the baby in the stroller. tHanks alot
    supermom2005

Comment by supermom2005 (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• When the two month goes down for a nap, I'd spend time reading or preparing the 5 year old for school (i.e., flash cards, vowel sounds, coloring, etc). And don't worry. Soon the 5 yr old will be in school. That will leave you all day for the other two. Start collecting those stars and play shopping basket, vaccumn cleaner, iron and ironing board for the oldest to play helping out when he/she gets home!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Great advice so far!
    It can be hard for the older ones to adjust! The BEST advice I ever recieved was to allow my older one to hold the younger one whenever and as often as she wanted, no matter if the baby was sleeping or not. It wore off pretty quickly, and it established that the baby was "her" baby. She was quite younger when her sister was born, but I think it would be worth a try. It will also get him more involved in the little fun things that babies can do (smile, giggle, etc) while at the same time showing the difference that he is a big boy.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would try to explain to the older one that the little ones need a little more care because they're not as big as the 5 year old is. And make sure to spend time with just the 5 year old and involve them with the younger one as much as possible.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Plan time a couple times of week for just the 5 year old. Special time...go to the park or for a walk, go for ice cream, etc. I would not turn the 5 year old into a mini babysitter, it is not her responsibility to help with the younger ones. My nieces mom did this and now my 13 year old niece resents her little brother. All she does and has been doing is taking care of her little brother so her mom and stepdad can sleep or go out. Your 5 year old is telling you that she needs attention from you, so give it to her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2010