Blackheads

Does anybody have like a zillion tiny blackheads on their nose? It seems like I've had them FOREVER (at least since high school). I don't know how to get rid of them, and washing with ANY special face wash has never helped. I've used the pore strips, and it helps, but not much. So do you have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I don't have any skin issues, but I used to have this problem. Just recently we moved to an area with really hard water so we needed to get a water softener installed. To my surprise I no longer have this problem. The soft water helps my skin tremendously!!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Have you ever tried baking soda? It works really well! You just pour a little bit into your hand or washcloth and mix with water to make a paste, wash with it and rinse. Hot water will help, too - like a hot, steamy shower. Or a hot washcloth held on the area. And you may want to start using a moisturizer with salicylic acid in it - Target makes a great private label version of Clean & Clear and it is like $4.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Have you ever tried Mary Kay's skin care system? Personally, I swear by it.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• Yeah I have this problem. I heard it was hereditary....but I'm not too sure about that. I find that HOT wash cloths help and cleaning your face in the morning and before you go to bed helps.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2010

• The only thing that's ever worked for me is .1% Retin-A. After 20+ years they're finally gone!
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't know. I've been using the go 360 clean (I think that is what its called) and its the best yet! the strips didn't do a thing for me
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 12:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You have to massage the pore strips in until they dry for them to be truly useful. Most people just slap them on and leave them there. Also be sure to exfoliate every other day and use a retinol product on the opposite day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Use some honey... put a tiny bit on your finger and smear it on the area with blackheads... then pat a couple of fingers over the area you put honey on and it will pull out all that yucky stuff... =)
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 12:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• A comedo is a hair follicle filled with keratin and sebum and appear most frequently on the face, especially in the t-zone. When exposed to oxygen it oxidizes and turns black (aka a blackhead). when closed it remains white (white head). They should be removed under aseptic conditions using proper extraction procedures, however if sever, seek medical attention.

Typically we are looking for treatments for combination oily skin if comedones (or a comedo) is/are present.

Use foaming cleansers, and toners (aka freshners and astringents), exfoliants, use moisturizers with more humectants and a minimum amount of emollients.

Typically a facial technician can recommend the best exfoliants for your skin type and conditions and tell you how to apply products for the best possible results. (like an Enzyme peel exfoliant for your skin type).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Also try a clay-based mask.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2010