23 Having Gallbladder Sergery...Very Nervous

Hi everyone,
I am 23 and going to be having my Gallbladder removed come Aug. 6th.
I pretty nervous about it. Does anyone have any idea how you feel after??? I have pain in
my roght side just below my rib and between my rib and hip. I don't have gallstones or anything. Always feeling like im gonna throw up and the pain can be very hurtful at times. It wakes me up in the middel of the night, Thx everyone

mom2alexis00

Asked by mom2alexis00 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Health

• iv never had that done, but i wanted to say GL and i hope u feel better soon!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• you don't have gallstones but they're taking your galbladder out? are they sure that's what's causing you pain?
    I had mine out when I was 21, 6 weeks after I had my 1st child and a c section! I was miserable. You basically feel like your stomach muscles have been torn up, which they kinda have because you've been cut open and all....but it's not a horrible thing, and if they're right and it's your gallbladder that is causing you this pain....the pain of having it taken care of is WELL WORTH it if your gal bladder attacks stop! best of luck! it'll be over soon! xoxo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i had mine out a few years ago. i went home the same day and i was pretty sore for a few days but by day 3 it was i was no longer taking the pain killers and walking didnt hurt so bad anymore. i think it was pretty quick and easy recovery. i took about a week before i back to nornal, lifting and doing housework and stuff. good luck i hope it all goes well for you.
    mustanggrl74

Answer by mustanggrl74 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My 25 year old sister had her gall bladder removed and recuperated at my house a few months ago. She had the laparoscopic surgery, so they didn't need to do invasive surgery. She was ok after surgery. She needed pain meds but was able to have dinner and go to the bathroom by herself. She said it really didn't hurt as long as she was taking her pills, and she only needed them a few days. She still gets a lot of pain if she drinks alcohol or greasy foods, so the surgery will not help if you do not alter your diet. On a side note, she was filled with gallstones and they only did the surgery as a last recourse. Why do your doctors think that removing your gall bladder will help you if you do not have gallstones? Are they sure that the pain is caused by your gall bladder?
    sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 12:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I had my surgery in 1999. For me, it was pretty horrendous, BUT that's because I suffered from a pancreatic attack before I had my surgery. When they did the pre-op procedure the Friday before my surgery, where they have you drink this dye and they stick a scope down your throat. Well I was told in rare cases, some people have a reaction to the dye. Yeah, I had a reaction. Landed me in the hospital for the weekend. Anyway, I was so pumped up on morphine, that when I got home after my gallbladder surgery, I think I took 1 or 2 painkillers and then I flushed them down the toilet (I didn't know until this year that you're not supposed to do that, LOL) because I was seriously afraid of getting addicted. I was so wired I didn't sleep for 3 days. It didn't take long for the pain to go away. I had to take it easy for a few weeks, but other than that, it wasn't too bad. The pancreatic attack was the worst of it. Good luck with yours!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I had mine out 5 years ago and it was the best thing i ever did. I had pain like yours and lots of stones plus the bladder was enlarged. They make a small cut at the belly button andone a little higher up they are very small, they inflate your abdomen and remove the bladder. The worst part really is when the gas is trying to leave your body, your shoudlers will hurt for about 24-36 hours after surgery. you will be sore at the stomach area and that last for about a week- 2 weeks, make sure you get lots of rest afterwards eat very simple, pain meals stay away from oils, mayo, cheese, heavy sauces etc. you may have instant urges to use the bathroom after taking only a few bites of food, not everyone has this but i did and it sucked big time. Just also keep in mind afterwards that your body will no longer have the filter for fatty foods so you will have to slowly experiment with foods as your body learns to process them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Sorry meant plain meals not pain meals lol.

Also You cant even see the incision site anymore on me I know where it is but no one else can see it and if i poitn it out people still cant figure out where it is at.

The will tell you not to lift over a certain amount of weight for 6 weeks, I had a infant at the time so that was tricky but we worked it out.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Well i was in the er with pain to the right side. They checked my appenix. That was fine. Where i was showing them it hurt the questioned the gallbladder. I followed up with my regular Dr. and she did me no good. She did this chest x ray cause she thought it may have been a kidnet stone or ulcer. So i was trying to tell her they looked for that in the er and found nothing. She didnt wanna hear it. So i did the stuff she ordered. I waited for the results and all she told me is that it was GAS! I was livid at that point. I called the Sergeon i seen in the er. He sent over all his notes etc to her. She sent in a referal to see him. He ordered a hida Scan. For those that are not familliar with that. Its about a 2 hour test. They inject you with a dye so the gallbladder shows up. the the last half it makes the gallbladder do its job. So that last part of the test hurt m. He told me that my gallbladder is probobly inflammed and that
    mom2alexis00

Comment by mom2alexis00 (original poster) at 1:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• if i wait. I will end up having sergery anyway. Im just tired of my side hurting, but im also scared about the surgery. I just wanna be sure im doing the right thing. I have noticed that after i eat greesey stuff it bothers me.
    mom2alexis00

Comment by mom2alexis00 (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Thank you all for the great comments : )
    mom2alexis00

Comment by mom2alexis00 (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2010