can babies have foods with fiber?

my son(6 months) ALWAYS wants bites of my food. im serious. he will pull the fork/spoom toward his mouth. Cups too. I'm eating yoplus yogurt... its low fat yogurt with fiber and vitamins e,a & d in it. he is freaking out for some but is it safe to let him have a few bites?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dairy is the real worry...and he actually may be more interested in the utensil. Try handing him his own spoon and bowl, see what he does.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• let him have a taste, it won't hurt him and it's good that he's showing interest in solids, looks like you don't have a picky eater...lucky you :)
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• At 6 months, it would be my assumption that you are already feeding him actual food (baby food, not steak and potatoes obviously). I wouldn't think giving him just a little would hurt anything...but that's all I would do and then wait a couple of days to see if it has any negative effects on him. Or, if you have concerns, talk to his Ped.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Is he on solid food? Diary isn't typically recommended as a first food...go with fruits, veggies then meats. Dairy is typically recommended around 9 mo. Regardless of when you introduce stuff, you want to make sure you follow the 4 day wait rule. New food should come one at a time with a minimum of 4 days in between. This assures you that if your baby has a reaction...you know what his reaction is to. (i.e. if you give him sweet potato, green beans and yogurt today and he vomits all night....you'll have no idea which of those things was the issue). Also, if it is a low fat yogurt, I would be concerned about artificial sweeteners...those aren't great for adults and a baby really doesn't need them.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• And yes, fiber is okay. Fruits and Veggies are FULL of fiber!
    ANGIE409

• yes LOL babies can have fiber, like ANGIE said, that's what fruit and veggies are!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Of course! Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning http://www.babyledweaning.com/  and Super Baby Food http://www.superbabyfood.com/  You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't do the yogurt. Dairy can wait or not be introduced at all, but more importantly look at the label for all the added sugar. 4 grams - 1 tsp A lot of those yogurts (except for some plain) have a ridiculous amount of sugar, even the organic and yobaby.

As rkoloms said regular table foods are fine. At that age, they won't ingest much. It is for fun and experience, they can't digest it. It will come out pretty much the same as it went in ;) But fruits and veggies are easier to digest than any cereals. And jar food...well...it has little fiber to speak of! Fiber keeps constipation at bay. Bananas can be a bit binding so don't over do bananas. At that age my baby girl liked to suck the juice from my apple, but she didn't have the skills to actually eat or digest it. A month later at 7 1/2 she really got interested in sharing my food - I gave her anything appropriate like beans, kiwi...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:31 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• lightly cooked blueberries from my pancakes, hummus, guacamole, fresh avocado, asparagus bits, well cooked broccoli, squash, etc etc. A month later her pincer grip was well established and she could eat cut peices of fresh grapes, blueberries, and whole peas. I never did purees. If the food didn't come soft naturally or by normal cooking, I didn't blend it to make it uniform. That's not fun or interesting :) I don't spoon feed ..per se. I will load a spoon and hand it over, or if I don't want a mess I will help her guide it. But for the most part she uses her hands to feed herself (or if the food is really messy and I'm out I hold it in my fingers and let her come to my fingers to take it so that she still regulates).

It's been so much fun :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2010