Adam's wife

Eve? Lilith? Both? Neither? Why?

greenergypsy

Asked by greenergypsy at 12:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm going with Lilith since she originally came from Babylonian lore which is where the Hebrew myths came from in the first place. The earliest recorded reference to Lilith is in the prologue to the Babylonian epic poem Gilgamesh, dating from as early as 2000 BCE. Much later, around the 9th century BCE, related demons are attested in Babylonian lore, including the male Lilu and the female Lilitu and Ardat Lili. All three are vampire-like monsters that prey on infants and pregnant women during the night. The story of Lilith that has come to be the most famous is found in The Alphabet of Ben-Sira, an anonymous work in Hebrew and Aramaic written between the 8th and 11th centuries CE. It is The Alphabet of Ben-Sira that tells of Lilith as Adam's first wife.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• According to the Jewish writings and the Talmud, Lilith was Adam's first wife, created at the same time and out of the same earth that Adam was. She left Adam and the garden of Eden. Lilith is also mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't believe any of them actually existed, but I do believe, at least in the "story", both were his wives - Lilith first, and then Eve.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• goodLilith left because she wanted to be equal to Adam,and he wanted nothing to do with THAT! Her argument was that they were made at the same time,so she was equal to him. Our first feminist!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The Bible only mentions Eve, so to me that's all there is.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• just a thought - Is it truly a marriage if you are together only because you are the only 2 people on earth and have to fill it with people? Hmmm....

(I personally believe the story of Adam & Eve is a fable only)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Eve was his only wife.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:42 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm going with Eve, but it doesn't matter. The main message of the story is the same, God created men and women. I'm sure Lilith was a lovey person even if she was a little annoyed with Adam.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I'm going with both. Lilith just left him so God made him Eve to replace Lilith.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• plc, you know there are older writing than the bible right? Lilith is the first feminist that is why we have LILITH fair! If I liked the name more my DD would be named Lilith!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2010