if you were pregnant and found out the baby had a birth defect,

would you consider abortion?

Do you think that the fact that doctors urge or counsel abortion in the case of birth defects is a civil rights violation?

saw this in another spot on cm, so it's kind of a spin off.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would NOT abort. Regardless of the defect/abnormality.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No. I was faced with that decision and did not abort. Luckily the 3 specialists were wrong and my son is perfectly healthy. If you were burned in a fire and disabled should we euthanize you? Seriously, I watched the most LOVING story the other day called Choosing Thomas. view it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToNWquoXqJI

They chose to keep their son and they cherished the little time they had with him. I wish people could understand that these children are meant to touch our lives. Whether its the parents or a person who hears their story. I honestly don't think aborting and dealing with that is EASIER than going through the pregnancy and the child dying a day later.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Crissy makes an excellent point. None of those tests are 100% and have many more false positives than true positives. Either way though, I would not abort.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I would not have an abortion even though I am pro-choice...It simply is not for me...
    If a doctor urges abortion or counsel abortion that is up to that individual doctor...Where I go they are not allowed to put their on opinions on whether to keep a baby or not, simply follow orders and give advice, like if the baby would have no chance at life sort of thing. I think if it offends someone they can easily switch doctors, no one is forced to stay with the same doctor, or write a check to a doctor who they do not mesh with.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• never would even cross my mind.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• my doctor thought i was crazy when i declined all those prenatal tests for defects and thought i was even more crazy when i told her i would not get an abortion even if my child had a defect....that really pissed me off so i switched to a midwife after that
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• nope never would even consider it.

those tests are not even accurate.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Nope. Doctors can be wrong and a birth defect doesn't devalue life.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 5:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No, I wouldnt.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• IF my life was in danger or at birth my baby would suffer really bad. Yes, I would. I have a husband and son who need me. I am not leaving my son without his mother nor my husband without his wife.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2010