how long do you leave your 1 1/2-2 year old alone?

i mean like in their room while they are playing or something?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No more than a few minutes if he is not within my sight. I am probably more protective than most :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• When Connor was 1 and a half I think the longest I let him in another room out of my sight was 5 minutes. If that.
    jmetz4

Answer by jmetz4 at 2:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Well since we are in a one bedroom apt it is very easy to keep an eye on him and listen to him. He is all over the place, so its really no big deal here. If i feel like he is being too quiet or I don't hear him I will go and check on him to see how he is doing and what he is getting into..right now he's fascinated with the alarm clock in the bedroom..I also keep the baby monitor on at all times. So I let him have his independence and explore. Because I know he will be ok.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 3:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't leave my two year old (almost three) alone for more than a few minutes out of my sight. She isn't the type to put things in her mouth but there's always a first, and she is too curious for her own good. I make sure I am careful to supervise her, even when I think her environment is pretty safe. Besides, she gets lonely and wants someone to play with her.
    boswellsgirl25

Answer by boswellsgirl25 at 7:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Never for more than a few minutes, He plays in his own bedroom but i am always in there with him
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 8:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My daughter is 18months and enjoys playing with her Mega Blocks in the play room. It really doesn't bother me for her to be alone in another room, though I do look in on her from time to time to make sure she's ok.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Never more than a couple of minutes... he'd get into all kinds of trouble if I let him be alone
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think it really depends on the kid. My daughter has been over the "putting things in her mouth" stage for a long time and she is 26 mo. now. I'll let her play for up to an hour in her room alone if she wants. However, the baby monitor is always on and the room is thoroughly baby proofed and she can't get out without my help. She's not the type to climb on furniture or throw herself off her bed or anything. We kind of had to out of necessity - we've had a cranky baby with GERD since she was about 18 mo. and unfortunately, there is only one of me. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Until a baby or toddler who is mobile can learn self control, they should never be left alone.

You turn your back in the same room for a few seconds and they are already off and doing something you never thought they could get to, or you didn't notice was accessible or even there. They should be velcroed to your body or in the line of sight at all times. Don't rely on baby gates either. My 9 1/2 month old has figured out how to push an item, climb on it to get to something else, and could easily fall over a gate if she got a mind to. Don't underestimate the trouble they can get into!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• if i have to pee then yes. If anything else, her ass comes with me lol
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 12:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2010