5 months baby does not sleep much during day time

My daughter only sleeps like 2-3 hours during day time. Sometime she just sleeps half hour and wakes up play again. Is that normal?

Lucy124

Asked by Lucy124 at 4:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's how my daughter was! Now at almost 1 1/2 she MIGHT take ONE nap a day sometimes she doesnt even do that.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Have you tried a "rest time" routine
    ex: this is for my son since 6mos--8mos now

wake at 8am
    rest/lay down/nap from 11-12 sometimes 10-11 pending schedule/tiredness
    rest again 2-3
    again 5-6
    Bedtime 9p

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Check out the book Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 5:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It is normal for your baby

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It was normal for my second child.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• my baby girl is 5mnths also she just started this pattern a week ago..we went from sleeping alot to smaller naps and sleeping all night long
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:59 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's normal. Not everyone (babies or adults) need the same kind of sleep day in and day out or sleep the same at all. For instance, you may need 9 hours of sleep to feel rested, but 9 hours may make me feel exhausted when 7.5 will do just fine. Also when we have something to look forward to or to be anxious about (new job, first day of school, moving, expecting company, reading a good book, etc etc) our brains get excited and we don't /want/ can't sleep for the rush. Babies are like that too. New milestones are too interesting to sleep though. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt or new milestone, and the next wake frequently. All normal. Babies sleep smarter and more efficiently than adults do.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Only, you say? In my book that's a LOT of sleep! Mine NEVER slept during the day. Nor much at night...he was an Energizer baby!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2010