What is fair?

Alright. We were away four five days, got back 20 minutes ago. My phone died-needs to be replaced-on Sat. Left a message on Facebook for the pet/house sitter saying this. GAve her Hubby's number. No calls. Came back.. trash & recycling not out, litter not changed, pets not fed, yard not watered. Apparently she was in the hospital on Sat & part of Sun for Braxton-Hicks (at 7 months). Her BF was here w/her. Hubby says not to pay her full amount $150 because BF could of done everything. Is this fair? She has been our sitter for years....

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 4:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• tricky. if she has been your sitter for years she should understand that she did not fulfill her duty therefore should not be paid in full. people dont get paid for the thought.. she could have run in and did most of it and then I would be compelled to pay more but yea i wouldnt pay much at all
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 4:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't pay if the job wasn't done and I think she would understand so that way there would be no hard feelings in the future.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I agree with your husband you should not pay for a service you did not receive.
    Mpaulus

Answer by Mpaulus at 5:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I do think it's fair. I bet the house sitter will think it's fair as well.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 6:30 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No work no pay...thats usually how it works in this world.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's fair to reduce her pay for the days she didn't make it, but be prepared to lose her as a house sitter too. She might feel that you should be understanding of the fact that she was in hospital.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 7:15 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Pay for the days she was there. Talk it over./
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The woman is about to have a baby, and she let somebody's pet go without food. I don't think so! Hey if the trash didn't get taken out - oh well. But to ignore the fact that the cat (?) needs food. That is a problem. It should have been her first stop on the way home from the hospital. It isn't like she is now recovering from a C-section! Talk it over with her and ask her what she thinks is fair. She should be ashamed of herself!

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• She was staying at the house while we were gone. She was mad that I didn't lend her my cell to use while we were gone (I have no landline) even though she has a cell with a sim card, but no plan- you can still call emergency services but no one else. She said she tried to call...possible because parts of MI are dead zones for cells, but if she left a message we would have gotten it. This is why I was concerned. After my c-section I was able to go up and down a flight of stairs to take care of the dog & litter. Is false labor worse? And here BF was here when we arrived last night-asleep in the spare bed. He apparently ran her a bath to calm her down after the hospital- the litter box is between the spare bedroom and the bathroom. How difficult would it be to scoop it out while she was in the bath? We have 5 cats. You can't let this slide for more than a day. Not looking forward to this conversation...
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2010