adoption of a pet

so i adopted my cousins dog she is boxer/lab/pit/something something lol she is about 35-40lbs, well she knows sit/stay/kennel/down/come all that really really well, however... they worked 24/7 and she was in the kennel from 5am-5pm and from 9pm till 5am... and got let outside 2 times and fed/water 2 times.. so now shes a bit hyper cause i don't think shes used to being free and not in kennel and had a couple piddle accidents cause i dont think she is used to having water other then them 2 times a day, what can i do to train her to not be so hyper and how do i slowly introduce the water more cause two times a day so dont seem like enough water..oh and she is 3

oppsdiditagain

Asked by oppsdiditagain at 8:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Pets

• I'd enroll in a training class. Our city has them and I know they have them at Petsmart stores. We had our dog professionally trained but you can find a class that is very inexpensive. As for water, she needs unlimited water whether or not she is inside or outside. We always had a bowl available.
    You have done a great thing by take this dog in and your cousin did the right thing alowing you to do so.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Is she fixed? Usually getting a pet spayed or neutered calms them down.

Otherwise take her for very long walks.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• yea she is spayed and not horrid hyper like l bouncing off the walls i just dont think she is used to being outside a kennel at all :(
    oppsdiditagain

Comment by oppsdiditagain (original poster) at 8:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• i don't know about the rest of that mix but boxers are naturally hyper no matter what age they are so make sure the pup gets lots of exercise to get that energy out
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I don't know much about training.
    I have 4 dogs,three we purchased as puppies and the other one we "rescued" He was mistreated and had some issues. He was over 2 yrs old when we got him. It took him quite a while to get used to our house and routine. It will take your dog a while. She is most likely excited at the new home and living arrangement. She may need more physical activity than what she is getting. You'll get in a routine. Keep working on the potty thing. GL:)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• That could be the thing.

Being in a new home and not being locked up all day. It could just be the excitement of being free for once in her life. Her urinating can be over excitement, she looses control and urinates a little. I would call a vet and see if anything can be done about it, or may need to put doggy diapers on her. Another thing is put her on a schedule to go outside and do her thing, cause if her bladder is empty then you won't have to worry about it. Also control her water to 3 times a day unless she goes for a walk or something.
    With all that it could help out with her accidents.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:43 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Bless you for adopting the dog. At 3 years old, she is still relatively young and you can expect her to be "hyper," especially while transitioning to being outside a kennel. She should have unlimited water, not food. You should give her lots of extra "love" until she gets used to you being her new owner and surroundings. I'd give her 3 months to calm down. My Mom's dog was so hyper that when I would ask her if she wanted to go for a walk, the dog would run from one end of the house to the other. It was hard putting her collar and leash on for all the running! Given time, she learned to sit still. Walking her was also a chore because she was so glad to be outside that she scared all the other dogs away! LOL. My Mom told me that her dog would cry for me when I wasn't there.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You really can't train a dog to be less energetic. You can however get rid of the energy by taking the dog on walks, bringing the dog to dog friendly areas to run off that excess energy, and just getting the dog out of the house. We take our two dogs to the local dog beach and they are soo much calmer for a few days. You can train your dog to act better though. Consistency is the key. If she jumps, say "out" every single time. And enrolling in an obedience class should help your dog and you in training your dog. But remember training classes are more about training the owner and not the dog.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think you should give unlimited access to water, personally. It's too hot to keep water from them and overexcited dogs get dehydrated quickly. Food should only be put down twice a day, but water should stay out.

As for the bounciness, welcome to owning a Boxer! She sounds like she's so happy to be with people. Boxers are very much family dogs and generally don't thrive when they're left on their own. I'm so glad you rescued her. :-)

Make sure you keep up with the discipline -- she has to obey a command before she gets a treat. My DH even makes our Oliver "Sit" before he gets a welcome-home pet because otherwise the dog just bounces all over him. Keep in mind, however, that Boxers never fully calm down, even as they get older.

Boxers are prone to mast-cell tumors, so get any suspicious lumps checked out quickly by a vet. Pet insurance is your friend! Enjoy the new addition to your family!
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 8:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• It's really not right to withhold water from a dog. Mine have access to it 24/7.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 5:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2010