• In the Spotlight:

Can money buy happiness?

Two new research papers argue that money can buy life satisfaction, but not happy feelings -- and that earnings beyond $75,000 a year don't buy a lot more happiness.

First, a Gallup survey of 136,000 people in 132 nations found higher income is strongly correlated with how people evaluate their lives, but only moderately with day-to-day positive feelings. The study appears in the July issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
"Does money make people happy? We must say it increases the likelihood that they will be satisfied a lot," says study co-author and psychologist Ed Diener of the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, in a statement. "In our study of richest people, there were a few very unhappy people."

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110009/how-much-money-do-you-need-to-be-satisfied

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i don't know. We are "poor" I guess, but I'm happier than a pig in well, you know.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No way! it can buy peace of mind but not happiness.

Answer by older at 9:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• For me, money can't buy happiness, but it can certainly help with putting your mind at ease so you can be happy without all of the stress and worry of financial problems.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• sure i believe it can buy happiness...money cant buy love though
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• in my situation, yes, because we would be a lot happier if we could afford treatment for my husband's illnesses and regular check ups and to buy the healthy organic diet that he should be eating to prevent flare ups and didn't have to stress about not being able to. also, think we would sleep better because we have student loans stacked up to an unbelievable amount and i lose sleep because i don't want to pass that onto our kids. i know that's what people say, money doesn't make you happy, but do you those kardashian kids not look happy to you?? :p
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Money can not buy happiness. Money can buy piece of mind. A feeling of security or being safe.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 9:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Money just makes you more of what you already are.

Generous people with money, tend to be MORE generous. Stingy people with money, tend to be MORE stingy. Money can bring happiness, but the person needs to appreciate what they have, and do the best good with it to KEEP their happiness. Money doesn't buy love or fill any voids.

I grew up poor in a predominantly wealthy town, and remember my mother always wishing she had money--that her life would be so much easier, and people would respect her. Well, due to massive increases in property values in the Boston area, and a fabulous teacher's pension, she is, by definition a very wealthy woman, but she's still a miserable person.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• bumped ya!

Answer by older at 9:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I beleive that it can buy Happiness, cause if I was debt free in in my own home, with no worries of when the bills will get paid. Then yes I would be much happier than I am now.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Yeah it can. Money can make one satisfied and happier. I'm not saying it's the only thing you've got. I'm happy when I can provide fr my kids, help others and not having to worry about spending. I hate having a small place, not having someone to do menial chores, not being able to travel, not being able to enroll my kids to music n sports activities. Can't really dine out much too. Satisfaction contributes to someone's happiness.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2010