Fighting

My kids are 4 and 7 1/2, and as most siblings do, they bicker...and lately it's alot. Lately things are escalating to more and more hitting, pinching, scratching, kicking, etc. If I ignore it they still do it, if I intervene, they still do it. I heven postpooned a trip down to see myaprents in FL this summer because I cannot handle hours on end in the car with them bickering and fighting.

How all do you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• During the summer, siblings tend to get on each others nerves more. What worked for us when we were kids, my mom would split us up. As in, your going to stay with grandma for a week. This would keep us from hating each other so much. I would go for a week, then my brother or sister would go for a week. and by the time we got back, we enjoyed each others company more. They just need to get out of each others hair for a bit.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I consistently discipline my kids for behaviors that I do not find acceptable. Sure I have streaks where no matter the discipline it goes on and on and on. However the plus side is the kids will breaks before my own, so in the end I get better behavior. Discipline here ranges from time outs, to removal of all toys, to spankings. It honestly just depends on what I'm trying to correct. The one things is consistent discipline. This behavior will always mean this consequence, no exceptions.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• At that age I got strict with them. When they fought I seperated them, made each of them stand against a wall with no view of TV. Their toes and nose had to touch the wall and they was not allowed to move till they was ready to apologize to each other. At first you will have to stand with them, cause of course they'll move around and sit down. (make them stand the whole time).
    In a vehicle if they fought I made them sit on their hands with absolutely no talking and wasn't allowed to look at each other.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• At this age kids get bored and need to be stimulated. Find programs at the libarey, day camp, the YMCA some of the local stores even have craft classes and painting classes. This will give them time to be away form one another and have a topic to talk about and be proud doing.
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 11:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2010