Fighting

My kids are 4 and 7 1/2, and as most siblings do, they bicker...and lately it's alot. Lately things are escalating to more and more hitting, pinching, scratching, kicking, etc. If I ignore it they still do it, if I intervene, they still do it. I heven postpooned a trip down to see myaprents in FL this summer because I cannot handle hours on end in the car with them bickering and fighting.

How all do you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• honestly I have not dealt with this with my own kids yet BUT when my niece and her friends stay at my house the rule is If you are going to fight it will be on MY terms. My terms are: 1)You will stay outside to do it. 2) you may not touch 3) you may not drag me into it. They know this and when they start I say 'come with me' I escort them outside to the porch and tell them when they are done they may come back in. Once they have 'permission' to argue they generally stop. It all of the sudden becomes not worth fighting about once it was 'broken up' If they do continue then it is out of my ear shot. Broken terms ended (in there case) with a phone call to be picked up. With my kds it will be something more appropriate for my kids. Never had that happen. once outside you could here them through the door saying stuff like 'This is stupid' and 'I don't want to fight with you out here' and can you believe she really put us out?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I sometimes sit them there holding hands and make them do things together and if I heard any bickering I would punish both no matter who started it. When I see the bickering has stopped they can go their own way. Usually they don't and end up working it out and having fun with each other.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 6:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I like the answer above! Funny! My kids fight and if it gets bad I make them sit (ages 7 1/2 and 5) on the couch and hold hands for 5 minutes. By the end they are laughing. You have to find what works for your family. We have all been there so don't think you are alone! :)
    welte519

Answer by welte519 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• They either have to find a way to agree, or at least stop bickering, or I find some heinous chore for them to do, which usually involves toilets. I love that they bicker because it shows that they're willing to stand up for themselves, and it's good practice. They also get to practice their negotiation skills with each other. Bonus for me, the bathrooms get REALLY clean sometimes!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2010