Does Your dd do this???

My dd is 10 and she is tender headed. I was wondering if this is just completely crazy or typical. She screams and fusses when I brush her hair! I try to be gentle but the softer I am w/her the more she fights me. Uggg,She won't take care of her hair properly on her own.
Is this crazy?? (it drives me crazy)

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 9:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter was the same way. You just have to brush her hair, being as gentle as you can be, and if she screams, let her scream. Tell her when she does a better job of taking care of her hair, then you will stop.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Have you tried using detangling spray or different types of brushes. I know that some brushes on my hair kill me, while other styles of bristles feel better.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I make my DD brush her own hair & watch her do it & if she doens't do a good job, then i brush it. But, she thinks that i am too rough when i brush her hair, so she has learned to do a great job of it on her own. She is 8.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Can you use a cream rinse or detangler/ might help. Short hair style would be helpful too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Why isn't she taking care of her hair on her own? Just wondering. She's old enough. Does she use conditioner after she shampoos? I would say 10 is ridiculous to be having fits over brushing hair.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:51 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I was like that and I get mad at myself now because it hurts! I have very veru curly hair! My mom actually had to wash my hair until I was about 10 and brush it god I moved out at 22 and sometimes I would have her brush it because i couldn't get the knots out even if I brushed it in the morning. Anyway just keep brushing it. My mom used to tell me beauty is pain.LOL not like that helped but... My DD is 2 1/2 and gives me problems but I think thats pretty normal.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I am VERY tender headed- It really does hurt! Try to let her do it herself, she can maneuver the brush better.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Any other sensory issues? My daughter is like that and has sensory processing issues.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2010