How can I try to keep my attitude positive when everyone around me is miserable?

I'm tired of being miserable but I'm not a positive person. But I have decided to try and change. But everyone I live with it so miserable. I'm hoping my happiness will catch on but usually the unhappiness gets to me first.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 9:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i have that problem too...the MIL gets off of work and she's always crabby about something...its too hot, the BIL is washing his hands too much (ocd), the dishes arent done, the floors arent clean, the kids dont know how to sit on the couch properly, well you get the drift. then i have my SIL who still lives with her mommy at 30. she's got the rudest things to say, never anything positive. if you want her opinion, she's very notorious for lieing excessively, so why talk to her at all?

so everyone thinks we all hate each other which creates bad vibes and a very unhappy home (for now). i think what you could do is drown yourself into something you love doing such as baking, gardening, writing, writing blogs, ect. if you accomplish something, there's nothing like the feelling of accomplishment that get such a good relief out of you. Do it yourself if you have to.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Well you know the old saying, "If Mama Ain't Happy Ain't Nobody Happy!"

I would tell your DH and your kids if they are old enough how you feel and share your commitment to change and ask them what they would like to see different either in themselves or you to make the home a happier place for everyone.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:59 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Write down each night three things that you are grateful for. You may find you have more than three! Keep a journal of these things. try to not repeat something too often so you are forced to "see" other things to be grateful for. You might want to even have other family members do this. try to think of positive things to do each day. even if it just being together doing a board game, etc. Try to think of your glass being half full instead of half empty. That helps me a lot, actually. Best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• The longer I live the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me is more important than facts. It is more important than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how i react to it. And so it is with you..we are in charge of our attitudes!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2010