Can stress cause birth defects?

My neighbor is 15 weeks pregnant and has some children already... she is yelling and screaming at them all day and her stress level is WAYYY to high! She screams over eveything and just looses her mind sometimes so bad I will see her shaking... she is going through ALOT.. divorce and she just lost her mother and father, taking care of her babys for the first time with no hepl from hubby. Will all of this stress and screaming cause birth defects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've never heard of stress causing birth defects but I have heard it cause early labor.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• like tanya said, no not birth defects but it can definitely cause preterm labor! I know from experience on that one!

idea - if you're worried about her stress level though, why don't you offer to keep her kids for a little while to give her a break?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I was terribly worried that something would be wrong with my first because I had to go through so much crap the whole time I was pregnant with him. But he was perfectly fine so don't worry too much.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• yea help her the best you can. Take the kids even if it its for an hour just so she can have a little her time
    egurl85

Answer by egurl85 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Erg, I hate *yelly* moms- they're worst than their children- and how trashy, in front of people!
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I've read that it can cause lower birth weight, but not defects.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• If it did, my daughter would have had a ton of birth defects.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• High stress can cause a miscarriage, low birth weight, preterm labor, and colic. ugh... I hope you can help or know some friends who can pitch in when they have spare time. An upset mommy isn't a healthy mommy. I hope she finds peace soon.
    UrbanBabies

Answer by UrbanBabies at 5:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Birth defects are usually genetic. I don't think stress can effect the baby until it first adversely effects the Mother such as high blood pressure then the baby can be in danger. Unless the Mom goes into preterm labor then the baby can have issues obviously.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2013