How do I get my son to stop grabbing himself?

My son is 3 and has been potty trained for a year now, he is now grabbing and touching himself all the time. If you speak to him he stops, but the next time you look at him he has his hands down his pants either pulling on his penis or squeezing it. Anyone have any suggestions to get him to stop doing this?

mommymorneault

Asked by mommymorneault at 10:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you made sure he does not have a rash, etc. You should be able to talk to him about this in a calm way and explain this is not appropriate. He's old enough to understand some of this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• Tell him that he needs to do that when he is alone & let him know that if you catch him doing it around people that he will get in trouble & follow through.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You don't. it is a normal part of development. Try not to react in a negative way. Let him when and where it's appropriate and when it's not.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• You just try to teach him that that is not appropriate in public/in front of others and teach him to do it in private in his room.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• He doesn't have a rash, he says it doesn't hurt. I tell him that its not appropriate to do those things around other people and he says ok mommy and he stops for a day or so then starts doing it again. I don't get upset with him over it, and have even had his father and grandfather talk to him about not doing it. But again does good and goes right back to it again.
    mommymorneault

Comment by mommymorneault (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't make too much of it then after several people have talked to him. Are there stresses in his life? Is he getting enough one on one with you and his father? Look for other things that might be going on with him and make sure he is getting plenty of praise for good things and tons of love. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:27 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• No stresses here, he has only one on one time with us! He doesn't go to day care, our schedules work so that one of us stays with him or he is with his great aunt. And he has a steady routine at home and away, plenty of stimulating activities to do around home. And he has his down time where he goes into his room and plays with his toys or colors and draws pictures. Can't think of anything else that may need to be done! Thanks everyone!
    mommymorneault

Comment by mommymorneault (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• I think it just must be a boy thing. I think I've got it through my son's head that I don't want to see and neither does anyone else so his grabbing is at a minimum.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 11:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2010

• My three year old use to do this. We would just keep telling him to stop and not to do that. Eventually he did. Not sure, but I guess he decided for himself and just stopped.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 1:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2010